Thread: Canon 70-200 2.8 Question

Canon 70-200 2.8 Question

I'm thinking about getting the Canon 70-200 2.8 lense,but was wondering if I should get the non-IS,the first version IS,or the Is ii? I have the 100-400 L and I love it,but I have the cheap 75-300,and I want to upgrade it.

Doug

I have the 70-200 2.8L IS (first version) and I love it. Don't get the non-IS version of the lens because IS is what makes the lens so versatile. I have never shot the IS II, so I have no commentary on that lens.

EB

Get the IS II. One of the sharpest lenses Canon has. Top-quality glass has a tremendous resale value, so it could end up being like a $10-20 a year rental, if you keep it for 10 years.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

in all reviews I've read, the second generation trumps the original. Go with the IS either way, you'll be glad you did. I had the original but couldn't justify keeping it since I rarely used it. I miss it every damn day, and it was an amazing piece of glass.

Also call Canon and get yourself forwarded down to the fine folks at the loyalty program. I got a GREAT deal on a like-new "refurb" 7D which had zero actuations on the shutter. You may be able to save yourself a good bit of mula going that route and still get a great lens. If you can justify it (and heck, even if you cant ;P) I recommend it!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Good choice, you won't be disappointed.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram