Thread: NYPD is looking for me.

NYPD is looking for me.

I just got a call from my cousin whose car I drive when I visit JFK and she said the police came knocking on her door this morning but no one was home at the time.Then they called on her cellphone and told her they are looking for me. Apparently not sure which of my visits someone has approached me, chatted with me about aviation took one of my postcards only to turn around and contact the police. According to her they've been investigating me for a while by going through my website and records but found nothing and they are asking for me to show up so they can bring a closure to the investigation. I am about to call them and talk to them and try to keep my cool under control because I am pissed for their luck of common sense.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Fasil, it's not a lack of common sense. When they get a call they have to investigate once it's on record. I'm sure it'll all be just fine.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Well I called the detective just now whose from the NYPD investigative unit and not Nassau county police I thought she would be. Apparently my last name sounded fake to the person who contacted police based on the new scheme if you see something say something. My self and the detective had a really good laugh about the fake last name. She assured me I have every right to take the photos and she chatted with me for a while at the same time I know she was building a profile about me. I asked how come they don't have a database or something since I get my ID checked by the police every time I am out and she said they are discarded if there is no criminal connection. As always I tried to educate her that there are millions of others doing the same thing and almost every major airport and city have a group of spotters and a lot of times I am never alone which she found surprising. So the whole thing ended peacefully without incident with a good laugh and assurance to keep taking photos. What I said about not having common sense is for the person who called and the police for failing to connect the dot because they get calls all the time about someone or a group taking photos but it turn out the number they call on the poster goes to a whole new place and not the Nassau county police.

Glad that all worked out...keeps things interesting! I doubt they see there are dots, and certainly no common since.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Unfortunately the only people who really understand spotting are other spotters. Most interactions between spotter and police aren't documented as most are initiated by curiosity by the police which end either by the officer understanding what's going on and leaving or the officer shooing away the spotter then going about their business. In either case no report is generated, and thus no data for a database.
    Regards,
    Bill

Fasil, you rule buddy! You handled that superbly! You know what though, if I were you I would keep the lady's number handy...and from now on, every time you have this trouble, give her # out to them and say 'But I have clearance from the police to do this, you can call and confirm it with this detective'

The ones made to feel foolish will never call, and the morons that actually do will be told the truth. It's time we start figuring out how to work these situations to our advantage

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Fasil, you rule buddy! You handled that superbly! You know what though, if I were you I would keep the lady's number handy...and from now on, every time you have this trouble, give her # out to them and say 'But I have clearance from the police to do this, you can call and confirm it with this detective'

The ones made to feel foolish will never call, and the morons that actually do will be told the truth. It's time we start figuring out how to work these situations to our advantage
    Hi William, you nailed it dude this is the best idea ever. I am going to keep her name and number in safe place and pull it out whenever necessary. My background is checked and investigated thoroughly. Thanks a lot.

Well done Fasil! Definitely should keep here number handy and glad everything worked out.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

glad things worked out for you Fasil!! 2 thumbs up my friend!!
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Well done Fasil, I'm glad that everything worked out well in the end. I know if the cops showed up while my wife was home and I was not I'd never hear the end of it. Stories like this always remind me just how far this hobby has become in terms of acceptance by others in the last 10 years. Sure there will always be individuals who think what we do is wrong/illegal/dangerous, but their numbers are far fewer now than they were and the police usually have an understanding of what we do and that it is perfectly acceptable today.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

I am also proud of you for standing-up for your rights. I was caught by a TSA guy last week at LGA who saw me taking photos. He never asked for an ID but said photography even from behind a window is forbidden. He didn't care if I have been a spotter for decades. I told him I'd see him at Kids' Day!

Awesome recap of everything and way to keep your head cool. We will prevail!
    ...."most guys dig narrow bodies with large bumps and round tails that have a floral fragrance. others dig wide bodies with large bumps and wide tails that have that Jet-A scent. Me? I dig planes..."