Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 5s new camera

iPhone 5s new camera

Hey everyone.

Just thought I'd ask for your take on the new camera system that will be available on the iPhone 5s. You can take a look at it here (scroll to the 46:00 mark).

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2013/

The question here is of course not whether or not a cell phone camera is going to replace DSLRs, we already know the answer to that. But on paper, it looks impressive, and knowing Apple, it probably will be.

Just asking for your honest opinions, ahhhhs, and booos.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    The camera on the 5s sounds interesting indeed. Larger sensor over more MP was a good way to go. I still don't think I'd trust the flash system or their in house pano software. I find the third party apps in regards to panos to stitch and blend much smoother.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    The camera on the 5s sounds interesting indeed. Larger sensor over more MP was a good way to go. I still don't think I'd trust the flash system or their in house pano software. I find the third party apps in regards to panos to stitch and blend much smoother.
    Don't they call that software "Photoshop" and that app Nikon Firmware? haha

I guess I can see why people are interested in having better camera phones, but at the end of the day they're all crap IMO. I'd rather carry an SLR everywhere than a smartphone anywhere. (This statement is stated regardless of my hatred for crapple that may get me flamed, but I'd say the same thing for any other supposed "camera" on a phone)

I love the phone ads of recent times, I'd like a phone that has a audible ring tone AS loud as the start up jingle, or an alarm that lasts longer than a minute, you know, something actually useful verses what you see these things advertised for like the one where the baseball team member makes a video of his team mate snoring and nodding his head back and forth and makes a stupid video, I mean really? That's the selling point?!

Doesn't this one have a 41MP camera? What good is that if there is a dime sized lens on it?
    PANTS UP, DON'T LOOT!

Not so much the lens but the size of the sensor. That's way too much info to cram on a sensor that small. It will be detrimental to the image.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

If it has a ringtone, it's not a camera...

The new camera is certianly [better] than the 5 which was better than the 4s, which was better than the 4 etc. This is a natural increase in quality. I'd still have to see a SOOC image for me to judge pixel quality but, it will still be orders of magnitude smaller lower IQ than even the worst point and shoot. It will likely be better than all other sensors in its class, by that I mean cell phones.

Mathematically, the photosites are BSI-CMOS which is great, and at 1.5µ are big enough to beat the older model which was at around 1.1µ I believe over a 1/3" image area. The 5s being larger by 15% as per Apple, means the sites are collecting more light.

For comparison, the very best 35mm sensor in low light was (is) the Nikon D3S with a pixel pitch of 8.45µ over a 35mm frame area. So, if you loook at a picture from that camera at high ISO, say 3200 ISO which is the best we can expect from the 5s, it is a NOISY picture, albeit a great picture. I can't imagine how bad 1.5µ pixels will perform :(

Notice Apple ONLY produced PERFECT LIGHT samples in the press conference. The only Flash shots are not great although better than the 5 it replaces.

For its environment, it is probably better than the outgoing generation. But don;t expect a leap in quality
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

OK so I was wrong, apparently the sensor can do ISO 6400 (probably by binning but maybe not) ...

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/camera/gallery/

So, explain to me why the full daylight shots are exposed at ISO 6400 and the seemingly low light shot (I know aquariums can be well lit inside the water as this one looks) is exposed at ISO 64?

I must go back to Photography 101.

...and I am getting a 5s for myself to replace the 4s which is now SLOWER than molasses given the new apps I am using lately. So I am not anti-Apple at all. Just seems ludicrous to use such high ISO when you have a f/2.2 lens and A TON of light.

Also, why did they select to use a HUMONGOUS fill reflector on the image with the little girls by the pool? Do most of you carry a large reflector with you to take phone pics with? I smell a fish
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    OK so I was wrong, apparently the sensor can do ISO 6400 (probably by binning but maybe not) ...

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/camera/gallery/

So, explain to me why the full daylight shots are exposed at ISO 6400 and the seemingly low light shot (I know aquariums can be well lit inside the water as this one looks) is exposed at ISO 64?

I must go back to Photography 101.

...and I am getting a 5s for myself to replace the 4s which is now SLOWER than molasses given the new apps I am using lately. So I am not anti-Apple at all. Just seems ludicrous to use such high ISO when you have a f/2.2 lens and A TON of light.

Also, why did they select to use a HUMONGOUS fill reflector on the image with the little girls by the pool? Do most of you carry a large reflector with you to take phone pics with? I smell a fish
    What, I thought we all carried reflectors in the trunks of our cars

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    What, I thought we all carried reflectors in the trunks of our cars
    I don't. I hired a midget to carry around my reflectors for my celly pics.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

That explains the banging sound coming from your trunk that day out at Howard Beach :P

Quote Originally Posted by captmjk16 View Post
    That explains the banging sound coming from your trunk that day out at Howard Beach :P
    It certainly wasn't pickles.

No that would have been from the back of a Rav4.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

I don't appreciate you referring to me as a "Midget". I am a little person. Please try to remember...
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Tim #70 View Post
    I don't appreciate you referring to me as a "Midget". I am a little person. Please try to remember...
    I am confused
    Manny Gonzalez