Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photography Is Allowed on PANYNJ Airport Property

F'woo... That was close... good save gerard!
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

I just left a comment on the Port Authority's webpage, might sound a bit comical but i least i let them know I was hassled. I don't want to mess up the spot or cause trouble for locals and so I left. I also don't know how the cops will react if they get called and I'm visiting so I can't afford to get told to leave by a cop who doesn't understand because that will ruin my trip.

"I was hassled by the T5 parking security driving around in white vehicles who demanded I leave or they would call the cops on me because I was doing aircraft photography. Lady all the way at the bottom working the entrance booths spotted me and yelled "sir you can't be doing that" then called several agents. We contribute to the economy by renting cars, hotels, airfare etc. We are also free security and more effective than these guys driving around every half hour will be. I'm a visitor from out of state by the way and flew to JFK just for to do my hobby. Photography is art, not terrorism someone please tell their supervisors so they stop harassing individuals. Thank you for listening"

Quote Originally Posted by MarioFL View Post

"I was hassled by the T5 parking security driving around in white vehicles who demanded I leave or they would call the cops on me because I was doing aircraft photography. Lady all the way at the bottom working the entrance booths spotted me and yelled "sir you can't be doing that" then called several agents. We contribute to the economy by renting cars, hotels, airfare etc. We are also free security and their supervisors so they stop harassing individuals. Thank you for listening"

I would have told them to call the cops anyway. The Security attempts to always come down on us a lot. See, some of us had that problem during UN week and we had a visit from the PAPD and they were very polite, all they did was checked our ID's asked if we r only planespotting and so we allowed to continue without another hassle. But yea smart thing to do is if the security tells you that you cant take pictures, tell them to call port, PA has more juristiction than the security, rent a cop etc. PAPD will come up to check u but, if asked to leave, u must do so, if worse comes to worse, theyre are a number of locations to take photos by checking the spotting map, but dont let an encounter ruin your day of spotting. These actions happen alot but we deal with it in anyway, not give up
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Thanks Sergio. Also I didn't see anyone whenever I'd went up those stairs to check, except yesturday almost at sunset. There were two guys there shooting the Kuwait A319. A spanish and a younger Asian guy, I didn't know them but they were busy chasing something and went to the other corner of the lot. I haven't been able to meet anyone this time around. Would have been great to spot with someone else, oh well.

I was about to go home anyways but decided to stay about 20 more minutes to shoot the Brunei taxxing out

it doesnt hurt to always go up and meet. that what I used to do, thats one of the ways that you meet anyone who my be in the same forums we are in and just for the company of someone with the same passion

Sergio Cardona

Thanks Sergio. Also I didn't see anyone whenever I'd went up those stairs to check, except yesturday almost at sunset. There were two guys there shooting the Kuwait A319. A spanish and a younger Asian guy, I didn't know them but they were busy chasing something and went to the other corner of the lot. I haven't been able to meet anyone this time around. Would have been great to spot with someone else, oh well.

I was about to go home anyways but decided to stay about 20 more minutes to shoot the Brunei taxxing out
    Mario,

The BEST way to meet others and spot with them is at sanctioned public locations, most well described in this website and others. You will likely get a cold shoulder at other locations for obvious reasons.

We are a great group of very friendly spotters and have many very generous folks in the group who express their generosity in varied forms. Some offer chatter, others technical advice and expertise, some offer information, some wisdom, some laughter (some times in huge doses). My best advice is to ramp up slowly and contribute. Contribution to the community is a sure way to make friends here.

Cheers!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Hi Mario. I'm going to echo exactly what Manny said since I couldn't put it any better myself. I for one love to talk to other spotters when I'm out. Its a great way to teach or learn something and it helps pass the time between traffic or during an RJ parade. most of what I know about photography, cameras, and planespotting I learned either on these forums or by talking with others while I was out spotting. And I have made some of the best friends that a person could ask for in the process. Welcome to the community and I hope to see you out there soon.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post

The BEST way to meet others and spot with them is at sanctioned public locations, most well described in this website and others. You will likely get a cold shoulder at other locations for obvious reasons.

We are a great group of very friendly spotters and have many very generous folks in the group who express their generosity in varied forms. Some offer chatter, others technical advice and expertise, some offer information, some wisdom, some laughter (some times in huge doses). My best advice is to ramp up slowly and contribute. Contribution to the community is a sure way to make friends here.

Cheers!

Oh so that's what that was all about... not happy to see a fellow photographer on a “secret” location, but yet you and the other guy were up there too. And now telling me how to do my photography and how to post on the forum. Talk about generosity. I’m such a clueless amateur who should learn to contribute in order to make friends. Oh man..

I posted about the Qatar A343 (btw nobody else did) and the Uganda Gov. Gulfstream back at JFK in the UN thread, keeping the list complete of every VIP aircraft sighted. I think that’s a contribution.

I also befriended a German spotter at the garage that within a half hour or so was about to get flushed out by security. I ignored the security but eventually she got out and talked to him. As a tourist, he was nervous and started packing in his camera. I walked to the lady and talked to her for a few seconds and she left us alone. Basically saving his last spotting afternoon here before he flew back to Germany, and it took a non-local visitor (me) to help another one.

Meanwhile… some locals were busy darting in and out of their cars, disinterested in meeting anyone as if they were up to no good - Yes, you have all the right to offer zero help or have no interest in meeting a fellow photographer that comes up to you and says hello, but at the very least... don't tell people what they should do or flip the script with formulaic lectures.

Lighten up, Francis...

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Oh so that's what that was all about... not happy to see a fellow photographer on a “secret” location, but yet you and the other guy were up there too. And now telling me how to do my photography and how to post on the forum. Talk about generosity. I’m such a clueless amateur who should learn to contribute in order to make friends. Oh man..

I posted about the Qatar A343 (btw nobody else did) and the Uganda Gov. Gulfstream back at JFK in the UN thread, keeping the list complete of every VIP aircraft sighted. I think that’s a contribution.

I also befriended a German spotter at the garage that within a half hour or so was about to get flushed out by security. I ignored the security but eventually she got out and talked to him. As a tourist, he was nervous and started packing in his camera. I walked to the lady and talked to her for a few seconds and she left us alone. Basically saving his last spotting afternoon here before he flew back to Germany, and it took a non-local visitor (me) to help another one.

Meanwhile… some locals were busy darting in and out of their cars, disinterested in meeting anyone as if they were up to no good - Yes, you have all the right to offer zero help or have no interest in meeting a fellow photographer that comes up to you and says hello, but at the very least... don't tell people what they should do or flip the script with formulaic lectures.
    I love martyrs.

The point is this...a location like this even though much hard work has been put in, is still very sensitive. So as to not invite trouble, a lot of people will simply keep to themselves. It's not a fact of giving a cold shoulder to a new spotter so much as it is a measure to minimize potential headache. Go to a spot like Panera and you'll have a much different experience.

As Moose so eloquently put it...lighten up Francis.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Well this took an unexpected turn didn't it...
    Mario... I really don't think anybody meant to give you a cold shoulder as the above comment stated, it was the fact that it was a sensitve location for spotting. I also believe that contributing is the best way to make friends. Ask anybody here, im pretty new... The best way I got my name out there was Posting... And approaching other spotters...
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

Mario ..... I wish I had more time to stay and chat but other matters needed my attention. Unfortunately, you found out first hand with security. I am glad you had a positive experience with the individual but most of the time security is a pain, so most of us lay low and are confined to our vehicles while at that location. As mentioned by others the more public locations are a great way of meeting other spotters and sharing their experiences and knowledge. Next time you're in town feel free to PM me and I would be more than glad to shoot with you.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Mario, don't think we are getting hard on you or anything. As a few stated, T5 still and will remain one of the sensitive spots and there are chances security will be a pain as Mark stated. And also as Kenny stated, Shoot from areas like from the Panera will make a difference of spotting i mean we dont get the same issue like at T5. Also the Mounds is fantastic to hang at if 22s are in use however the better lighing is around 3pm till sunset. Also If u see local spotters don't hesitate to meet any, many are mostly from here and we are alot friendly and we are a team. If anytime I was to be out there shooting, ill be happy to join you as well.. So don't get excited when others try to help you, thats what we do, it's all part of learning

Sergio Cardona

Mario, it's a real shame to see this post from you. I meant nothing personal or directed at you but was generalizing trying to explain my behavior that particular moment.

I am sorry you feel this way and wish you the best of luck with your endeavors... My sincere apologies if i
    made you feel uncomfortable in any way.

Cheers!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    My sincere apologies if i made you feel uncomfortable in any way.
    Remember, Manny, a crowded subway car is not an excuse for unwanted touching.

Antonis
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM