Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photography Is Allowed on PANYNJ Airport Property

Photography Is Allowed on PANYNJ Airport Property

Not all good news though.

After speaking at a public PANYNJ board meeting and communicating for months with the PANYNJ and being told that they would make a revised, public rule to share for us to have about photography on airport property, they have changed their minds about making it public. But, the rule is there and it says we are good to go, as we always were.

How they intend to have a rule that they expect people to follow without making it public is beyond me.

But I was assured, and showed the "internal" rules that state that photography around and in airport property is allowed with the exception of obviously sensitive areas like security checkpoints, or specific locations at determined by lessees.

When receiving complaints, Port will usually reply with the following (this is a direct quote from a Port official that I was given permission to share):

On behalf of The Port Authority of NY & NJ, please accept my apology for your inconvenience. Generally speaking, there is no policy prohibiting photography in public areas of the airport, although restrictions exist within certain areas, such as security checkpoints. Airport employees are trained to watch for suspicious activity, and it appears in this case that an employee may have overstepped their authority in an effort to help provide a more secure airport environment.
    So for now, this is all that we have to go by in terms of actual rules.

Moving forward I will urge anyone who is asked to leave a location for taking photos in a place that seems as though it is allowed based on the above, to file a formal complaint. PANYNJ doesn't realize how often this is happening, or the complaints are not climbing high enough up the ladder. I will take care of that.

[UPDATED 8/19/13] The best way to file a complaint is to go to http://www.panynj.gov/feedback/ and use the feedback form. Because the actual "comments" box is limited to 250 characters, I recommend you first write a full account of your encounter in a new Spotter Blotter thread here on the forums, and then on the PANYNJ comment box, briefly summarize it, and provide a direct link to your forum thread's statement.

Always remember that what is posted on the forum is PUBLIC and will be read by people...this includes your replies. ALSO keep in mind that the feedback form can be used to report GOOD encounters too! Let's give the guards and officers credit when they are treating us right!

Thanks, guys.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thanks Phil!
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    This should be stickied. It's the port's responsibility as the creators of their own code to make sure all of their LEO's are on the same page in regards to knowledge of and enforcement of said codes. They are most certainly dropping the ball in this regard. Thanks for your advocacy always Phil.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Thanks for all your work on this, Phil!

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Thank you Phil. We are another step closer to hassle free spotting at the fields.
    -Don B.

Thanks for all your hard work Phil! Hopefully I'll have a few new spots to enjoy next time I'm in the NYC area now!

does that mean that FJC is still gonna make up their policy while spotting from T5? what about when people would take photos of the planes while in the terminals? are we still gonna have those to say that I cant take pictures?
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Since they don't want to make the rule public, would a FOIA request work to get it?

/IANAL

Program Coordinator
    photography around and in airport property is allowed with the exception of obviously sensitive areas like security checkpoints
    It's also allowed at security checkpoints, provided you're not interfering with the process.

Phil .... Thanks for your effort. The proof will be in the pudding especially at Newark Liberty Airport.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Now can we do something about lowering the cost of the T5 garage?
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    Now can we do something about lowering the cost of the T5 garage?
    I doubt that will happen
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

To lower the costs at T5 ... park off the field and that the Air Train to T5
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Thank you Phil and all that have worked hard to maintain our rights to photograph aircraft in their natural environment. I definitely appreciate all the sacrifices and efforts those before me have made and endured.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

this is fantastic...thanks so much Phil!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?