Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photography Is Allowed on PANYNJ Airport Property

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    It very well may be. You're not using the facility for it's intended purpose, technically speaking.
    Just to play devil's advocate here, wouldn't the intended purpose here be to park one's car? Every last one of us did arrive in a car and paid for that privilege. What we do once we have parked our car in the parking garage (be it catch a flight, meet a traveler, planespot, or take the Airtrain off airport property) should be irrelevant.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Ben, have to play this side....

loiter v. to linger or hang around in a public place or business where one has no particular or legal purpose. In many states, cities, and towns there are statutes or ordinances against loitering by which the police can arrest someone who refuses to "move along." There is a question as to whether such laws are constitutional. However, there is often another criminal statute or ordinance which can be applied specifically to control aggressive begging, soliciting prostitution, drug dealing, blocking entries to stores, public drunkenness, or being a public nuisance.

The parking garage is for JetBlue Terminal 5. States so on every entrance board. If, you are not dealing with JetBlue, ie: taking a flight or picking someone up, them technically, you do not have a reason to be there. The Port has been very tolerant of us as a group. Phil has been working behind the scenes to make our group known, and to try and get them to understand we are a liability, not a nuisance. It is a nice vantage point, but sometimes, you need to think. If they get called up there to check people out 2, 3 days in a row, we become a nuisance. How you ask? What if they are checking out suspicious activity on top of the T5 parking garage (a spotter or group) and something real happens that delays their response. An over reaction on my part you may say, but if that did happen, you can forget ever getting T5 access again.

T5 is hot right now, let it cool off, so we continue to have opportunities there. Like it was mentioned in the other thread, we lost the Cargo area, due to people not thinking, lets not do it to ourselves again.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    John it's ok man, people need to tweet about things because they are important.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

It has taken a LOT of work to get Port to be understanding of our hobby, if we are being granted a bit of leeway where none needs to be granted, it is just foolish to toss it around because the second it becomes a pain in the ass for the cops on the beat around JFK, they are going to start kicking you guys out. Lets not forget what happened at EWR a few years ago to a few peoples memory cards. Correct or not, it happened and it's just one example of what could happen with PAPD and not to toot my horn because but this time if PAPD comes down hard on a group of spotters and it is at T5 JFK, I am not putting my neck out there with the Port to smooth it over or explain as a friend for friends. You can post all the legal right mumbo jumbo you want but the minute one of you acts like a idiot and rubs the PAPD the wrong way, right or wrong when you get taken in for it, I am going to sit back and laugh. As an individual and a member of the group I am going to say knock it off with the super public showings from the T5 parking garage. It's obnoxious and if you don't think that this group or the key members of this organization are not constantly on the radar of the heads that be at various agencies and companies you would be sadly mistaken. Don't be a bunch of caviliar cowboys with access and respect hosts because we are guests of the airport when we are spotting on airport property, announced or not and if we as spotters are not flying out or conducting official business sanctioned by Port etc, they have the right to say take a walk. Don't screw things up for the rest of us. It will be back to square one 5 or 6 years ago if we lose access to the garage and the T5 garage is a fantastic vantage point.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

So I guess the consensus is when you guys go out spotting DITCH the social media (Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare, Instagram)!!
    Also just because a person (or group, or agency) isnt a member of NYCAviation and logged in sure doesnt mean they arent reading EVERYTHING that goes on here!!
    And LE is very social media savvy!! Just saying!!

I also want to thank Phil for standing-up to the PA. I have been chased-away numerous times in my almost 4 decades of spotting. I could write a book about how many times I was humiliated. LAX, on the other hand, gave me zero problems. Anyway, my last encounter was with a TSA agent rather than a PA agent. He forced me to spot taking photos. I argued with him then stopped taking photos. Most of my encounters have been with either terminal security or TSA and not PA; except for my visit to the parking rooftop waiting for QFA to arrive. I plan to return on Fri. to LGA to see if PSA Smiley Jack comes for a return visit. I can't get spotting out of my blood! What to do if bothered by TSA?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    Anyway, my last encounter was with a TSA agent rather than a PA agent. He forced me to stop taking photos. I argued with him then stopped taking photos. What to do if bothered by TSA?
    http://nycaviation.com/forum/threads...d-by-a-TSA-Guy
    I thought everyone gave good advice on what to do previously.
    PANTS UP, DON'T LOOT!

Oh gosh...
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    I also want to thank Phil for standing-up to the PA. I have been chased-away numerous times in my almost 4 decades of spotting. I could write a book about how many times I was humiliated. LAX, on the other hand, gave me zero problems. Anyway, my last encounter was with a TSA agent rather than a PA agent. He forced me to spot taking photos. I argued with him then stopped taking photos. Most of my encounters have been with either terminal security or TSA and not PA; except for my visit to the parking rooftop waiting for QFA to arrive. I plan to return on Fri. to LGA to see if PSA Smiley Jack comes for a return visit. I can't get spotting out of my blood! What to do if bothered by TSA?
    One thing I wouldnt do is argue with the TSA what if they are right or wrong. We all know that there are many that still dont get the picture. See I used to spot from the terminals at LGA but now I dont bother. But you gotta remember that theres always gonna be someone that is always gonna approach you and tell u this kind of BS. All you have to do is keep your cool. And yes if TSA was to tell you something that is not true then have them call port, but dont argue out to them, it's not worth the trouble. Some of us has been trying to say this for awhile now. Same thing like JFK. Theres always a chance you are gonna be chased away, there are many points you wont be chased away. You gotta look at it at both sides. I mean ok, the only ones that can plainly chase you away is PA, since they are the ones that run the airports, not TSA, FJC etc. It happens to many of us all alot but not always often because port is pretty much understanding what we do as far as planespotting goes. Things are getting better if you look at it in the good side. But always remember one thing, Port has power to ask you to leave. If they were to tell u that u cant shoot from that location or etc, u must obay that and not take it in a bad way, theres always other times to return too.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Thanks Phil for all the hard work for us. Do the photography rules include TSA guards who sometimes hassle me at terminals? National Guardsmen never bother me. Does the TSA have their own set of rules regarding photography different from the Port Authoritys'? I seldom get hassled by Port Authority; usually either private security for teminals or TSA. Most are great and just pass by me but a few like to stir up the pot. Thanks again.

Why do I get the feeling that something really not good is going to result from the previous post?
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

Why do I get the feeling that something really not good is going to result from the previous post?
    Amen!!
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

He'll be fine!! Cut the guy some slack!! At least he's not tweeting crap!!
    Last edited by Gerard; 2013-09-27 at 06:24 AM.

TSA's policy is to allow photography except for the screens of equipment or if it interfers with the screening process.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    He'll be fine!! Cut the guy some slack!! Ay least he's not tweeting crap!!
    Touché Gerard. Touché.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!