Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photography Is Allowed on PANYNJ Airport Property

It will be very interesting to see how the new security company behaves once FJC departs in the near future
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Phil, as always your hard work and dedication shows no bounds. Thank you so much for all you do for this aviation community.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

As Jason pointed out...FJC's contract is set to run out, that being said, I'm also very interested in who they hire and how they treat us!
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

I do not think our treatment of occasionally getting kicked out of places that are usually ok (ie: Terminal 5) will end as a result of their internal document. I see it as our tool for what to do when that does happen...which I am still working on in determining the best complaint-filing process.

There will always be airport employees, passengers or some sort of people that are just clueless about what we do, so I don't think our "resistance" will every truly end, but I think knowing this information helps and we can keep working in baby steps with this massive organization that not only own 6 airports, but also bridges and pretty massive properties. If JFK were run by a company that did nothing other than run JFK, I think everything would be much, much easier for us and our hobby.

Once I have all of that info about complaint-filing here, then I will sticky this thread. I was holding off on this but after a recent incident I wanted to provide an update.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta777LR View Post
    does that mean that FJC is still gonna make up their policy while spotting from T5?
    You mean the handwritten pages of "rules" Sergio?

In all seriousness this is great news, and although it isn't perfect yet, it is a major step in the right direction. At the very least, our challenges to their false assertions can now go from "there's no rule against it" to "it is explicitly allowed by the PANYNJ's rules except for in a few, limited locations." Thanks a million, Phil for your tireless work on this. It's great to finally see some results for all of your efforts.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Thanks, guys. I hate the baby steps, but I do think we are making progress.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Baby steps is much better than no steps at all Phil. Thanks again for fighting the fight.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

yuppp, thanks again phil! It can't be said enough!
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

UPDATE! The best way to file a complaint is to go to http://www.panynj.gov/feedback/ and use the feedback form. Because the actual "comments" box is limited to 250 characters, I recommend you first write a full account of your encounter in a new Spotter Blotter thread here on the forums, and then on the PANYNJ comment box, briefly summarize it, and provide a direct link to your forum thread's statement.

Always remember that what is posted on the forum is PUBLIC and will be read by people...this includes your replies.

ALSO keep in mind that the feedback form can be used to report GOOD encounters too! Let's give the guards and officers credit when they are treating us right!

Haven't had a chance to comment till now, but as several others have said already, thanks for all you did for us with this, Phil. I totally agree, this is textbook cautious optimism

Jason and I were speaking with a spotter from out-of-town yesterday who works for a major corporation, and Allied Barton is their corporate security contractor. He mentioned that when they took over, all of the employees from the previous contractor were immediately rehired. However those who received complaints were quickly weeded out of the system. It might be a good idea to start taking names down or at least the time and vehicle number when we are approached by guards telling us that we can't photograph. Allied Barton is a major security contractor, and as such it may have changed the ballgame a bit in regards to how we can reduce these encounters.
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Ben, while photography may be permitted...loitering I'm sure is not. Just be smart out there.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

Of course Kenny, however never once has the issue that we are loitering been brought up when I have been present. It is always about the photography. In fact in the encounter we had last night they paid no attention to the registration hunters that were with us, only the photographers. Still it is important for us all to keep cool, smart, and respectful at all times. We are never going to change things with the guards or officers while we are encountering them, said change needs to be brought down from the top.
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

If you pay to park there, is it still considered loitering?

It very well may be. You're not using the facility for it's intended purpose, technically speaking.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!