Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filters

Filters

Would like to pose a question to the photographers on the forum related to the use of filters, not for special effects but as lens protection. I have always used a UV or Skylight filter to protect my lens from scratches but it has always bothered me to pay $2000 for a lens and stick a $100 piece of glass in front of it. Interested to know who uses a filter on their lens at all times.
    Second point - with film cameras, there was a purpose to a UV filter in addition to protection in that it filtered out UV rays. I understand that it is not required in Digital Cameras as the sensor ignores UV light. So, if you want to use a filter for protection, should you use a UV or a NC filter?
    Interested to hear your thoughts

Either type is fine for protection. Every once in a while you'll hear someone's story about how their filter saved their expensive lens, but don't look at it like it's a requirement. I use Hoya and Tiffen UV filters and have no complaints. Just remember to take them off when shooting night scenes

Most of my glass has UV filters and its predominantly used to protect the glass. I use Hoya, Heliopan and B+W. I am one of those individuals in which the filter saved my glass. For whatever reason my nifty 50mm lens didn't lock right into the camera body and fell off. The filter I think suffered the most damage. Till this day the lens works like a champ. Moral of the story is make sure your lens locks into your camera body.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    I refuse to use UV filters. It is only another element to have to shoot through and in more cases then I care to have are detrimental to the image. Use common sense, don't drop your lens or touch the elements and you won't need the UV waste of money any longer.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

I used to be in the UV filter for protection camp, until I bought top-of-the-line B+W filters for all of my lenses. Well, at some point, I noticed most of my photos from a specific lens had a small slightly blurred area in the same area of each photo, throughout a whole year. I eventually narrowed it down to a bad spot on the filter, which couldn't be seen (but the problem went away when I removed the filter). I took all my filters off after that. Lens glass and the coating is pretty resilient, and as long as you always use a lens hood, and are careful with your gear, you should be fine. A filter can even damage the front element more, if it shatters and scrapes the lens. I would say to forget about a filter for protection, unless you have to shoot in some ridiculously dusty or other hazardous condition, where the front element will be blasted by debris.
    Last edited by Cary; 2013-08-15 at 10:15 PM.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

some people don't have common since Kenny...it's not as common as you imply!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory View Post
    some people don't have common since Kenny...it's not as common as you imply!
    Well then if you have no since then use the filter at full false.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Hey Trevor- I use B+W brand UV filters. I hear ya about the concern with putting extra glass infront of expensive glass. I don't buy the sell filter manufacturers put out there about the value in reducing UV. Protection is my only motivation. And like Mark, a UV filter saved a lens for me as well. In fact, this was just a few weeks ago- I was running down from the top of the mounds and a waist high, dried reed jammed up into my lens. The UV filter cracked, but the lens itself was spared. Whew!
    -Don B.

No filters... The big lens makers properly make front elements ... trust your manufacturer. A $1500+ lens has a good front element protection. Think to yourself how many times you have someone come near your lens with sandpaper. Then you can consider a different approach, such as an underwater housing. Otherwise, naked is the only way you should go...

One rule of thumb: REDUCE the number of air-to-glass surfaces for the ultimate in photo quality.

Other rule of thumb: If you're worried more about your gear than the photo, you are not really taking photos.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Granted, this front element has a small surface area, but this is a must watch (if you have a strong stomach )

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    If you're worried more about your gear than the photo, you are not really taking photos.
    Hey Manny, I think this is just one of those subjects where there is no right or wrong answer. It really comes down to personal preference. I've shot commercial jobs using highly respected photographers that don't use filters and with those that do. With the latter, I wouldn't say they cared more about their gear than the product they deliver. The quality of work certainly didn't suggest that.
    -Don B.

Cary it was only Canon glass. I managed lol.
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    Cary it was only Canon glass. I managed lol.
    I thought I saw a similar Nikon video, but it only lasted 8 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    I thought I saw a similar Nikon video, but it only lasted 8 seconds
    Lol you prick :p
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!

Carry PRICKS, but he is not [a] PRICK
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS