Thread: Marine One Osprey

Marine One Osprey

When President Obama flew to Martha's Vineyard yesterday, it was via Air Force One to Cape Cod, then by Marine One to Martha's Vineyard. I hear that this was the first time the Osprey was used in the Marine One function.

http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/0...of-marine-one/

Email me anytime at [email protected].

Ohhhh..now that is a sexy bird!!!!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Awesome looking!! But stressed its NOT as Marine 1 but part of the detail for his entourage which uses the Nighthawk call sign!! Replacing or resting up the Sea Knights or Super Stallions I would guess!! Still, very cool looking and nice heads-up there!! I'll be in DC next week for a few days maybe I'll get a glimpse of one of these babys!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    I'll be in DC next week for a few days maybe I'll get a glimpse of one of these babys!!
    I read that the President is returning to the White House on Sunday and it just so happens I will be in town that day!! Wonder what time he'll be coming in? Do they publish that (TFR)? Have seen
    Marine 1 land twice on the south lawn and it never gets old!!

I don't know that they issue a TFR every time they fly into and out of the White House. Much of that is restricted and prohibited areas on a regular basis. Last month when I was spotting at DCA, there was a pause in traffic (no more than 5 minutes) and I saw the three Marine white tops across the river heading towards the White House. That was the second time in recent months I've been in DC, saw the helicopters, and had the wrong lens on the camera, although this one turned out OK...

You might be able to check the President's public schedule here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/schedule/president/

A sample from his overseas trip in July:
    8:50 PM The President and the First Family arrive Joint Base Andrews
    9:15 PM The President and the First Family arrive the White House

The president is not allowed to fly on that bird, it will not be marine 1
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    The president is not allowed to fly on that bird, it will not be marine 1
    What is the reason for that

John thanks for the info!! We shall see what happens. The first time I saw them it was "Right place, right time". Was leaving WW2 Memorial when I saw USPP Eagle 2 circling the area and when I got close to the grass area between the WH and the Monument I saw the Secret Service were moving people away from the fence, back onto the grass. Figured out pretty quickly what was coming!! Second time i heard lots of chatter on my scanner after checking into my hotel, which wasnt far away, and got there with a few minutes to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    What is the reason for that
    http://gizmodo.com/the-president-get...d-t-1108783801
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    There's no TFR for a Presidential movement in Washington because the entire Washington DC area is in the Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ - pronounced Freeze), which has the same restrictions as a TFR, but is permanent. Hooray, paranoia!

What I'd like to know is if the new -22s are going to operate the same missions to JRB that the -46s currently fly. The diameter across the rotors is only a foot or two larger than the VH-46s, so physical size isn't an issue, but they are technically over JRB's published weight limit (52.5K vs. 50K).

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    There's no TFR for a Presidential movement in Washington because the entire Washington DC area is in the Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ - pronounced Freeze), which has the same restrictions as a TFR, but is permanent. Hooray, paranoia!
    Yup, they usually have a "hold" in effect at Reagan. And only military, LE and air medical flights allowed to fly in DC and even then they have specific paths. Read an article recently that they are
    looking to reopen the South Capitol Street Heliport which has been closed to all private/charter flights since after 9/11.
    http://www.rotor.com/Publications/Ro...-Heliport.aspx
    Just realized I can check any TFRs Sunday for the Boston/Logan area when he departs there.
    Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Just realized I can check any TFRs Sunday for the Boston/Logan area when he departs there.
    And this was what I did and I saw the TFR for Marthas was between 7:30 and 845PM. So I was sitting in my hotel room watching the Giants pre-season game figuring flight time Logan to Andrews and what time
    I should leave the hotel and a 20 minute so walk to the Mall. I also had my scanner on and from previous times i knew that when I heard Nighthawk activity on DCVA frequency it was getting close. So around 9:15 I heard a few Nighthawks airborne and decided to head out. I set up by Constitution Ave between the Monument and the White House south lawn and moments after I arrived a US Navy Crash/rescue truck arrived to take up position right off Constitution with the uniformed USSS units so I knew we were getting close. Soon after that USPP Eagle 2 helo flew in from the east and made a number of sweeps around the WH and the Monument lighting up the area with their nightsun. As they headed out into Andrews airspace then Nighthawk 1 a flight of 3 lifted off from their base at Naval Support Facility Anacostia!!
    So by now I was the only idiot hanging around waiting but no one bothered me especially the unmarked white minivan parked to my left with two heavily armed Secret Service officers in it. I guess they figured I was harmless and drove over to park by the Crash/rescue truck. I then decided to take a walk up by the Monument and sat there to get a better view. Once again except for people strolling around I was the only guy sitting there at 10:40 in the evening. A USSS officer on bike came past me at least 4X but didnt stop.
    Eagle 2 returned and did a few more nightsun sweeps and though they didnt light me up I could be sure I was FLIRed! They then headed out to the NE and a minute later DCA put a hold on all ops, including holding Medstar 1 on their pad at Washington Hospital Center, as Marine 1 with Nighthawks 2 and 8 flew in!! They came along the Washington Channel of the Potomac then on final to the south lawn roaring right
    over my head lights shining brightly and not very high either!! Nighthawk 2 and 8 broke off gaining altitude to the north before reversing and returning to their base. Marine 1 landed safely, shutdown rotors, off loaded their "passengers" then cranked back up flying once again right over me heading home!!
    All very cool and well worth the time and walk to see it!!