Thread: Saw this on last evenings' local WCBS News

Saw this on last evenings' local WCBS News

WCBS-TV featured a report filed from North Hills, L.I. showing the residents disgusted by the use of the airspace directly over their homes almost 24/7. They claim they can't relax, read a book or sleep. Of course we spotters know they are speaking of the use of the VOR/DME 22L Approach into JFK. They claim they get no response from the FAA when complaining. Frankly, I am envious, as most spotters would, to have these aircraft right overhead; no need to drive over to the Mounds or Bayswater. This is a spotters dream; how fortunate are these surbanites to hear the roar of jet engines all day and night. Lucky stiffs!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    WCBS-TV featured a report filed from North Hills, L.I. showing the residents disgusted by the use of the airspace directly over their homes almost 24/7
    I didnt realize JFK was open 24/7

Yes it is. LGA closes around midnight. Finally saw the film "Goodfellas" there was supposed to be a scene filmed on 22L Approach. That scene lasted about 3 seconds and showed a Swissair 747 landing briefly. Very disappointed about the Lufthansa Heist. It was mentioned but never shown.The film "Awakenings" showed a better scene filmed on the hill near 22L at JFk.

Yes it is.
    But it cant be nowhere as crazy as these people complain!!
    Right?

Frankly, I am envious, as most spotters would, to have these aircraft right overhead; no need to drive over to the Mounds or Bayswater. This is a spotters dream; how fortunate are these surbanites to hear the roar of jet engines all day and night. Lucky stiffs!
    I guess I live the Spotter's dream...AND I LOVE IT!

I mean I guess it could be a little noisy from time to time, but not as crazy as these people are portraying. By 12am, all you here are the occasional cargo 747 and a couple of B6 A320's...THOSE ARE NOT LOUD AT ALL!
    Last edited by Jared Blech; 2013-08-11 at 10:16 AM.
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

Yes it is. LGA closes around midnight. Finally saw the film "Goodfellas" there was supposed to be a scene filmed on 22L Approach. That scene lasted about 3 seconds and showed a Swissair 747 landing briefly. Very disappointed about the Lufthansa Heist. It was mentioned but never shown.The film "Awakenings" showed a better scene filmed on the hill near 22L at JFk.
    Also it shows a Korean Air Boeing 747-SP
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Again ..... I am repeating this, but today's aircraft (with the exception of a few) are less noiser than the aircrafts of the 70s and 80s, etc. I am virtually next door to JFK and I don't mind it one iota! It's a way of life when you live next to any airfield or are in the approach and departure paths. If you don't like it, either move or get some good ear plugs.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Apparently, no one in North Hills remembers an airplane called the Concorde

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Whenever you deal with quality of life this will happen. It also happens to people that live next to golf courses and don't like the balls hitting their house or cars. You should think of this before you buy a house. Do the research before you sign the mortgage.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Whenever you deal with quality of life this will happen. It also happens to people that live next to golf courses and don't like the balls hitting their house or cars. You should think of this before you buy a house. Do the research before you sign the mortgage.
    I deal with that same stuff here in CT with people wanting our local race track to close because of the noise. If you didn't want to hear the noise two nights a week, you shouldn't have bought a house knowing full well that there is a track there. As for the people in North Hills.....if you think the noise is loud there, go spend a weekend at one of the lovely domiciles next to the mounds....they'll appreciate how quiet things really are in North Hills.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Thanks for your input. Part of my post was tongue-in-cheek, while I love seeing planes I doubt if I would like them passing over my house when I am trying to sleep or when reading or watching TV. 99% of those living near flight paths have no interest in aviation and those planes are just a nuisance. To each his own. The complaints to the FAA will make no difference as flights must pass over somebodys' homes. Incidentally, I once had the experience of standing directly under a landing AFR Concorde on Rockaway Blvd. The jet was about 300' overhead. The shear actually knocked me down and the engine roar caused my temporary hearing loss. As a Concorde fan, it was a highlight like a roller coaster ride!

Korean 74L

Now I must watch "Goodfellas" again. I couldn't identify the first aircraft. I forgot that KAL used to fly a B747 SP. the film "Awakenings" had a longer segment filmed on the hill overlooking Rwy 22L but I forgot which aircraft was shown.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I have long believed that unless you lived in a particular place before the so-called 'nuisance' was created, you have no valid claim against it. You chose to live there for a reason, so learn to live with the stuff you don't like.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mldoc View Post
    I have long believed that unless you lived in a particular place before the so-called 'nuisance' was created, you have no valid claim against it. You chose to live there for a reason, so learn to live with the stuff you don't like.
    Agreed!!!!