Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PANC-Anchorage, Alaska, July/August, 2013 (Very Image Heavy)

PANC-Anchorage, Alaska, July/August, 2013 (Very Image Heavy)

Alrighty, here we go.

Some of you probably knew where this was going, but here is the crowning jewel of my Alaska aviation blitz, Anchorage International Airport. While the Spotter's Mecca for most has always been SXM, or LAX, or maybe LHR and AMS if you can swing it, ANC has always been a dream of mine, so I managed to secure a day to spot before heading for Denali. Well... a day quickly became 2 due to changing plans, and with as late as it stays outside, a 3rd night became possible. When our floatplane flight was cancelled our last day there, I just couldn't believe my luck, from 1 day at ANC to essentially 4. The airport is truly amazing, the evenings especially in the summer. I managed to bag literally everything I wanted to catch at ANC, a first for a spotting trip I have undertaken. There are going to be a ton of images here, but I will try to keep duplication to a minimum

So...how about day 1? More like afternoon one due to a cloudy morning, but some decent photos were still had.

These little DC-9s were one of the jets I thought would be harder to bag, and that was patently false actually. Granted they never flew when I wanted, when light and cloud were ideal, but they were still neat to see.

Korean's 748s also tended to leave earlier than I'd have liked, but it was still a treat to see so many 748's doing their thing!

I had actually never caught Condor before, so this was a nice surprise, as I do not believe that this was the usually scheduled flight based on the flight number.

And of course the jet I most wanted from day 1 had to leave during the harshest light, but, it still counts! My long-sought Eva MD-11F!

Sometimes having a bigger lense helps

Another airline that sadly only came once in my presence, and was badly heat-hazed until she got really close.

This jet follows me everywhere, I swear!

I love these little Combi's, so unique compared to what we see stateside

My Air China 744...well sort of. Not sure if this counts or not...

Day 1's real highlight, an Everts Air Cargo DC-6 taxiing back after arrival. I may or may not have been doing a happy dance when I heard this old gal rumbling down the taxiway

Sadly I called it quits on day one at about 7PM, with about 3 hours of good daylight to go (fatigue was brutal from the trip). Day one became my titular "bad Day at Anchorage", crazy as that may seem. Day 2, however, was far more successful as you will see in my next post...

Great stuff. Can't wait to see the rest of your KANC pics.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Superb shots, Nick !
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Awesome Photos!!
    Life is About Kicking Ass, not Kissing It

Visit Munich Aviation Spotters and Runway26 Productions on Facebook

Day 2 was supposed to be a quick run to the airport in the morning, followed by a drive to Denali. A hotel snafu pushed that back a day, and delivered me a full day at PANC. I got to try out a morning spotting location which worked out great, and got to spot well into the evening as you will see in a second.

PenAir Saab during engine run-ups

No idea why, but a USAF KC-135T

The only time I have ever complained about how powerful the 777F is on takeoff, they were miles high every time they got to me it felt like

My first UPS 747, which was nice to bag at last

The tanker had a friend too

Best light I ever had on an Everts DC-9, which was the reason we went out, admittedly

This airline also flies DC-3s, so imagine my sadness when the Metros would take-off my way, while the DC-3s would use the cross-runway. Oh well, its still my first Metroliner.

Favorite livery anywhere, and on a 748, a winning pair for me

Some of the longest takeoff rolls were from Alaska's flight to Hawaii. They rolled on forever and ever it felt like.

Once again, sometimes zooming in can be fun

Random visitor in between all the heavies

Finally! More MD-11s

Loved all the Beech 1900s flying out of PANC

Nice treat, if only he'd left about an hour later...

Civilian C-130s, a major goal for me while on this trip, and Lynder kindly played ball

As the day wound on, the light just kept getting unbelievably awesome

Another one that was a long time coming, my first 737-200, and with a gravel kit too! These little fellas make the most glorious noise, can we have them back? I'll trade the A320s in exchange

Another local

Surprising number of 753 movements at PANC too

This scheme just pops in good light

By now we are well into the late 9:00 hour, for reference

And the award for the latest departure I have ever shot goes to Panalpina, at 10:35 local time for wheels up

All in all, not a bad day I'd say... However there was more goodness to come on days 3 & 4!

And, for the finale. Days 3 and 4. Tons of photos, this was one trip that just kept getting better, and better, and better...

The morning was fairly quiet

The Conoco Phillips 737

My first UPS 763

And retirement for an Evergreen 747 pilot we guess

Weather started becoming a factor that afternoon, which was unfortunate, however the sun still cooperated for the most part

The local med-evac Learjet

And then they reversed the pattern for me, allowing for a whole new vantage point!

But sadly the clouds killed the sun fairly early that day

Day 4 more than made up for it however

The sun was out again that Friday morning, although not for long sadly

This guy was in and out a lot while we were there

I had given up on catching a DC-6 in flight, only to hear that familiar sound of a radial firing up to taxi. This lovely lady took off soon afterwards

Not often that one gets to be eye level with a 747

And the winner of the "Wow, what an ugly, ugly plane" and the "Pleasant surprise of the day" awards go to this...er...thing from Atlas. I'm only glad I put together what it was based on its origin and that we didn't leave before she taxied in

They reversed the pattern again that afternoon, and it was open season on all the aircraft I had hoped to catch at PANC, rolled into one short period of time

I had to do several double-takes when I saw this on approach, an Aviocar, in Alaska?. Quite nice

More of my favorite little 737s

And their eventual replacement

A better view of the CP Jet

Another double-take was needed for this little guy, hadn't seen once since SJU in 2011

Sadly I only caught one of Era's special liveries

And now, to conclude, with the 2 highlights of that final day of spotting

in second place, Eva's MD-11F returns, in better light too!

And the winner, Cathay Pacific's Hong Kong Trader. The sun came out literally as she appeared from behind the trees, making me one happy photographer.

Well, that does it for me from Alaska. I hope you've enjoyed this little photographic soiree through the airports of our Last Frontier over these past few days.

Cheers!

Nick

Steve, Kaz, Backlash, thank you all! I hope this wasn't too many photos...

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Nick, that set is INSANE! Hell if I caught half of the stuff you got there, I'd be thrilled. Excellent work!
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Wow! Thats an awesome amount of great catches and with mostly very nice light. I especially love the 737-200 with the gears fully retracted shot.
    ANC is definitely in my top three of airports I want to visit in the US. Now seeing all these birds in just a few days, it might be my top airport!

Thank you both.

Kiffy, that gear up 732 shots is definitely one of my favorite images from the trip, so much so that it graces the background of my tablet at the moment. I was just glad there wasn't any heat-haze that late in the day!

Program Coordinator
    ...damn.

I gotta get up there again soon. I love going, and the light is always unreal, but I've only ever gone on weekends and holidays when it's been a bit slow.

So correct me if I'm wrong but isnt Anchorage a big stop for cargo planes coming in from the East? Do they unload their cargo or refuel and continue west and south? And I think I read that on 9/11 Anchorage was bursting at the seams with planes grounded!!
    GREAT pictures!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Gerard; 2013-08-09 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks Jeremy!

Gerard, you are absolutely right. The vast majority of the flights are fuel stops, some may also handle customs at PANC, I am not sure. But most flights were HKG/ICN/NRT/SIN/PEK/TPE to some point in the US, all via PANC.