Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Visible Airline Culture When Flying

Excellent posts and perspectives in those last two posts, thanks!

NYCrew, welcome to the site!!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thank you, Phil!

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    There was one SWA flight I was one where when the pilots were in the middle of flying the pattern on approach into KBNA, they took it upon themselves to sing to the passengers over the PA system. Sorry, but I'd rather have my pilots FLYING THE PLANE instead of entertaining the passengers. Thats the flight attendents job! That definitely made me realize that SWA does not take flying and safety seriously.

Kinda makes you wonder if the SWA pilots were too busy entertaining the passengers on final approach into LGA to remember to land with the Mains before the nose gear..
    You do realize that it was the FA's doing the singing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCrew View Post
    Hey now, I am airline crew for a major carrier and I wear my union lanyard, doesn't for a moment mean that I am not super proud of the company I work for and how humbled and excited I am to be in the position I am in... If anything I get excited when I know a passenger is also excited to be on the aircraft too... Most of the people I encounter are casual or disinterested, or maybe the excitement of travel left them long ago. I'm only 28 but I have been flying for almost 4 years and even though a flight may be routine, I frequently feel like I am the only person on board who has a love and passion for aviation.... If I do have airline enthusiasts as passengers, they rarely make themselves known to me. And that's a shame! They might get a free cocktail out of it!
    Free cocktail you say? I'm the Italian guy with the Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    There was one SWA flight I was one where when the pilots were in the middle of flying the pattern on approach into KBNA, they took it upon themselves to sing to the passengers over the PA system. Sorry, but I'd rather have my pilots FLYING THE PLANE instead of entertaining the passengers. Thats the flight attendents job! That definitely made me realize that SWA does not take flying and safety seriously.

Kinda makes you wonder if the SWA pilots were too busy entertaining the passengers on final approach into LGA to remember to land with the Mains before the nose gear..
    Already addressed but bears repeating -

THAT WAS A FLIGHT ATTENDANT SINGING.

You would think that in this day, it would be obvious that not every male voice on the PA is a pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Level View Post
    Already addressed but bears repeating -

THAT WAS A FLIGHT ATTENDANT SINGING.

You would think that in this day, it would be obvious that not every male voice on the PA is a pilot.

....And you would also think that someone that participates in an AVIATION forum would have at least somewhat more knowledge of the industry than the general public and be aware of this, too.
    My name is Disco Stu and I love disco music.

Quote Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
    ....And you would also think that someone that participates in an AVIATION forum would have at least somewhat more knowledge of the industry than the general public and be aware of this, too.
    That was fairly rude, and not accurate. Many people come and have started off here as people who love aviation and come to LEARN about it. You will often see people ask questions which seem to basic for some of us that work in the industry, but that is how most of us started. When I was 18 I couldn't tell the difference between a 757 and 767. A couple years later I was doing the weight and balance on them and dispatching them around the world. And all of my base knowledge that allowed me to do so well in my first interviews came from what I learned through this hobby.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Here is my take on airline cultures, in terms of what exists in front of the customers, it still seems to exist, however, in most airlines behind the scenes, if it exists it is very limited because of mergers and acquisitions. It's very hard to blend cultures. I work for an airline which still has a very internal and external culture but my previous airline did not at the time have a culture to speak of or a identity with it's brand so to speak. I think that given the changing of the guard so to speak in the coming time as the old dogs retire, we will see a return to culture behind the scenes with the legacies however.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    That was fairly rude, and not accurate. Many people come and have started off here as people who love aviation and come to LEARN about it. You will often see people ask questions which seem to basic for some of us that work in the industry, but that is how most of us started. When I was 18 I couldn't tell the difference between a 757 and 767. A couple years later I was doing the weight and balance on them and dispatching them around the world. And all of my base knowledge that allowed me to do so well in my first interviews came from what I learned through this hobby.
    Yeah....You're right...not knowing in the 21st century that there are male flight attendants is in the same league as being able to distinguish between aircraft types and understanding flight dispatching. I stand corrected.
    Last edited by disco stu; 2013-11-20 at 06:39 AM.
    My name is Disco Stu and I love disco music.