Thread: PALH-Lake Hood, Alaska, 07/2013

PALH-Lake Hood, Alaska, 07/2013

Hey Guys,

Installment #3 of the Alaska odyssey (coming a few hours late today due to a jetlag induced nap) took us to the world's busiest floatplane base, Lake Hood. Essentially adjacent to the Anchorage International Airport, it is a spot that many photographers miss in the excitement occurring just next door, however true to everything I was told before we got there, it is a place not to be missed. The summer light in the evenings, combined with the backdrops and volume of traffic make for awesome shooting. All of these photos were taken in a roughly 2.5 to 3 hour stretch over 2 days, and trust me, there were a ton more that I didn't shoot or post here! While the traffic can get repetitive, one can move freely around the lake to change up the vantage points if wanted, but regardless, it is a must see for anyone in Anchorage.

Okay...enough chatter, some photos!

The DHC Beaver is the real treat around the Lake, you cannot beat that radial sound!

Beavers still sporting the original 2-bladed prop are a bit uncommon, sadly

With floatplane after floatplane coming in, the temptation to drop one's shutterspeed becomes tempting, even for me the world's worst panner.

Sometimes you drop it a little too low...

And lastly, for the "widebody" of Lake Hood, the DHC Turbo-Otter. While a round engine would have been cooler, this thing just felt huge compared to the rest of the traffic (funny, I know)

Once again, while not necessarily a normal thread, I hope you guys have enjoyed a snapshot of the goings-on at Lake Hood. By tomorrow I should have the photos from PALH's larger, more jet-oriented neighbor finished and ready to go. Please forgive any softness from overzealous panning, I was just too caught up in getting some prop-blur

Cheers!

Nick

Wow thats a great set of panning images, great job! They look fantastic, very sharp, don't underestimate your ability!

Thanks Kiffy! It's definitely not my comfort zone, but it was a great learning experience.

They're better than I could ever do. Every time I want to practice I never want to totally ruin the shot so I chicken out and bump the up shutter.

I really like the head-on shots.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Excellent stuff again Nick. I'm jealous of the panning work!
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Great shots!! So many different seaplanes with great liverys!!

Epic stuff! You never cease to amaze me!! Keep those great Alaska photos coming!
    PANTS UP, DON'T LOOT!

I really appreciate it guys! Lake Hood was probably the most fun I've had shooting in a long time, because unlike the usually approaches to a runway I was used to, these guys can land way short, way long, bank in from either direction, it's just a very dynamic experience for sure!

Wow!! Excellent work Nick!! very nice set of images. I swear by the end of installment #5, I'm gonna have my bags packed and tickets booked to fly to Alaska!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Program Coordinator
    Jeez. Great set.