Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External Hard Drives

Have had a 1Tb WD for about 2 years now, which I use to back up the whole laptop... No issues whatsoever, and I remember spending little money for it. Very pleased with this brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    I filled a 1.5 TB drive and had a backup that was shipped to Arizona where it sits in a safe
    The rest of the data is backed up on a 1 TB drive and backed up on a 3 TB drive I normaly use

I do not believe in having the data in one place
    Haha, extreme measures but I gotta agree.

sweet thanks for the input! Hopefully I'm not one of those few who gets a crap copy. I need to format my computer so I'll be backing everything up, then backing everything up consistently in the future.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

I'm running a 4TB Seagate BackUp Plus connected to my new iMac. I don't run Time Machine as I think it's redundant. I just make sure I back up once a month unless I have a wedding gig in which I back up right after uploading images, and right after I finish editing.

I also use my back-up drive to keep space free on my computer's internal drive (moving RAW images after a gig is done, etc), though I realize I'm playing with fire if my Seagate fails...

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

I'm using a pair of WD 1.5TB drives in an external docking station, similar to this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Thermalt...&skuId=9419596

When I download files from the card, they go to my laptop hard drive plus one of the external drives. When I'm done editing, I copy the XML and JPGs from the laptop to the first external drive, then duplicate them to the second external drive.

I also have a few stand-alone external drives, WD and Seagate, that I've used over the years to back up older photo work, as well as non-photo files. I always try to have two of each to prevent loss if one goes bad.