Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Irregular Flying Experiences: Diverts, Emergencies, Delays, Oh my!

Mark (Heeshung) farted in the 206 I was flying and I almost diverted with the owner on board until I realized that the airplane wasn't ACTUALLY on fire.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

lost my number 1 jug in my no.2 engine in the DC3 between Norfolk ,and Pontiac,Michigan, one hard days night in January years ago,feathered same then fluttered down to a single engine ILS to near minimums at Clarksburg,W.Va,easing on to that beautiful runway just ahead of the freezing rain, and rime , earning our yearly salary in 20 minutes that early pre dawn morn.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Program Coordinator
    Go-around in LHR on the AA 773 a few months back...and on a C206 after experiencing wake turbulence while landing following a 732 in Kona...stalled and heard the pilot say 'oh s***' several times before he regained control and punched it while I stared out the port window straight down the centerline...hit a tree on landing and tipped over in a hot air balloon. Back when I was afraid of flying watched a screw come out of the wing on DL Express 732 flight and freaked the hell out nearly causing a divert...and delayed a plane once for 30 minutes in ORH when I saw a crack in the overhead and assumed it went through to the skin and...freaked the hell out. Almost got my family kicked off the flight.
    I was a good kid.

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    On my return from Northern Manitoba, landing at YWG I shot this pic of our go around for RWY 36. We lost hydraulics and didn't get green lights after capt. went to drop the gear on short final. He leveled off, flew runway heading while he cranked down the gear by hand. In this shot we are passing over the threshold and you can see a WestJet 73- in line for departure. We were never in any real danger thank god, but as the captain put it "we were just making memories"...

-Don B.

I have two

First one: I was flying from ATL - Detroit - Jfk on a Sunday night after going to a Falcons game. Think this was a few weeks after Sept 11th. A kid about 10 -12 years old was sitting next to me as he was flying alone. I was looking after him like a big brother and of course the flight attendants were giving him everything under the sun. It was a pretty empty flight. A few minutes after takeoff the pilot announced we were making a landing at the nearest airport because of a failure to the backup of the air compression system. I think that is what it was. Well we landed in Knoxville Tennessee and being it was late on a Sunday there was no mechanic on duty. (Thats really what they told us)

They then told us they were sending another plane to pick us up and while we waited for this plane to be fixed or the replacement plane to get there they let us off the plane and told us to get some food or something while we wait an hour or so. I swear they were calling Lowell from the tv show wings to come fix the plane lol

I get to wander the food court but the kid that was with me got to go to the Flight attendants lounge. I spent the hour wishing I was 10 again lol They fixed the plane and we were on our way in about 1 hour and a half.

I don't fly very often so I don't have too many stories. Just about all of my trips have worked out pretty well, without even any significant delays. The only time I had a problem was flying the SFO-JFK redeye on JetBlue. After we pushed back some indicator light (or whatever) apparently came on for one of the engines (as the captain said, "one of those things that if it came on while we were flying we'd keep going, but we can't take off with it on"). We sat there for a bit while they tried a couple of things to try to clear it (running the engines up a couple of times, rebooting the entire plane, etc.) but nothing worked, so we got went back to the gate and mechanical started taking a look.

It ended up not being something they were going to be able to fix that night; we ended up sitting around in a mostly-empty SFO waiting for the last inbound flight from JFK to get in (of course, it was a little late) so that we could take that plane. I think we ended up getting back to JFK about three hours late.

I thought the crew did a pretty good job, all told, though once we were back at the gate it was 'strongly suggested' that we stay on the plane instead of going into the terminal; spending an extra hour and a half sitting in the same seat you're going to spending another 5 hours isn't the most comfortable thing. The most annoying thing was some of the other passengers.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Once back in the 80's when British Airways would ground a flight for the slightest warning light....on a from from LHR to JNB via NBO (Nairobi) - taxi out after the tech stop - engine warning light comes on - taxi back to the terminal. Try to fix it - no luck - put us up in a hotel. Next days - mechanics can't figure it out - fly a spare engine out on the next flight and fit it. Night 2 in the hotel in NBO. Day 3 - engine fitted - we all board - taxi out - warning light - taxi back - can't figure it out - back to the hotel for night 3. Day 4 - can't figure it out - going to send a whole new aircraft on day 5 - night number 4 in the hotel - finally day 5, board new aircraft - continue to JNB. 5 days - 4 nights in a 5 star hotel in Nairobi - on British Airways - different - not exactly what I had planned - but - very luxurious and comfortable!!!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Quote Originally Posted by pgengler View Post
    The most annoying thing was some of the other passengers.
    Isn't that almost always the case......................
    My name is Disco Stu and I love disco music.

1.Yesterday I thought we were going to have a lengthy delay in PHX due to weather in/around Philly. They stopped boarding and announced a 3-hour delay, I sat down with a sandwich, 2 bites later came the 'just kidding' announcement and we boarded. Only an hour or so late. 2.Had a real 3-hour delay @ JFK 2 years ago when a leading-edge flap motor gave up the ghost on our 744, which caused us to miss our connection to Hamburg and lose our hotel room on a weekend they were having this huge Harley convention when most hotels in the city were full. 3.But the worst flight I ever had was in an Eastern DC-9 headed down to MCO. We were being kept in a holding pattern through some real ****e weather and people were throwing up left and right. My head was swimming I was so sick, but I managed to hold on to my lunch. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see Mickey Mouse.

Well, there was that one time our flight got intercepted by fighters...

Oh wait nm....
    Last edited by USAF Pilot 07; 2013-09-07 at 10:06 PM.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by jerslice View Post
    Go-around in LHR on the AA 773 a few months back...and on a C206 after experiencing wake turbulence while landing following a 732 in Kona...stalled and heard the pilot say 'oh s***' several times before he regained control and punched it while I stared out the port window straight down the centerline...hit a tree on landing and tipped over in a hot air balloon. Back when I was afraid of flying watched a screw come out of the wing on DL Express 732 flight and freaked the hell out nearly causing a divert...and delayed a plane once for 30 minutes in ORH when I saw a crack in the overhead and assumed it went through to the skin and...freaked the hell out. Almost got my family kicked off the flight.
    I was a good kid.
    Never

Flying

With

Jeremy

That's what I've learned from this thread!
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07 View Post
    Well, there was that one time our flight got intercepted by fighters...
    Nice shot. There was only a small window of time for that picture - after the Fort Smith birds had gone up to Martin, but before they were repainted with MD ANG markings.

There are only two experiences that stand out in my mind. There could have been more, but I can't remember back that far.

The first was a trip I took to Reno. I was on my way home flying USAirways connecting through PHX and PHL. I not for the fact that I was flying First Class, this experience would have been miserable. I had only gotten about 2 hours of sleep the night before flying out of RNO, and I spent the better part of my 4 hour layover in PHX spotting from the roof of the T4 garage. When I boarded the A321 I put my belongings away and got comfortable anxious to depart to I could watch us climb out and then get some sleep. We pushed back and sat in the alley for what seemed like forever. The pilot then came over the PA system and informed us it would be a few minutes due to trying to trouble shoot an issue with the APU. About 10 more minutes had passed and we pull back into the gate. At this point the mechanics come out to work on the plane. We did not leave the plane during this time because in their words "it should only take a few minutes to fix". At this point I should point out that my scheduled connection time in PHL was 2 hours. While the mechs were working on the APU, a customer service rep boarded the plane numerous times to give us updates and let people off that wanted to get off and rebook that would miss their connections. Knowing I had a 2 hour window in PHL, I didn't get nervous until 90 minutes at the gate had gone by. We ended up pushing from the gate 2 minutes shy of the 2 hour rule that would have made the airline unload the plane. I arrived in PHL and was handed a new boarding pass for the next later flight into PVD in case I didn't make my original connection in time. I made it to the gate right as the gate attendant was grabbing for the door to close it. I made it home on time, however, my bags did not.

The second experience I had was on jetBlue. I was flying back to JFK from Las Vegas on the redeye. This was shortly after Sandy had passed through the area. We were enroute to JFK somewhere over the great lakes when the pilot informed us that we were in a holding pattern due to visibility issues at JFK. Due to the impact Sandy had on the area, the ILS system was down and we could not perform a visual landing due to 1/16th mile visibilities at the airport. We flew the holding pattern for about a half hour I think and then the pilot came back and told us that we were going to divert to Rochester. We landed at KROC and pulled up to a gate where we were greeted by the gate attendent. Both her and the pilot told us that we would "sit tight" for a minute to see what was going to happen, since at that point they were getting reports that the fog might lift any minute and we could get back in the air. a little while later, the attendednt told us we could get out of the plane if we wantedto step into the terminal briefly to get a beverage or relieve ourselves, but we had to come right back. I took this opportunity to get out and stretch my legs and grab a coffee in the terminal. I came back to the plane and stood in the aisle for a bit and conversed with the pilot about what was going on. Throughout this whole time, the staff from jetBlue was awesome. After about another 20 mins the crew had informed us that they had reached their timelimit for flying for the day and that they could not go any further if we did not get in the air in the next few minutes. So at this point the entire plane was unloaded and we all went into the terminal while we waited for another crew to arrive from JFK. The new crew arrived about an hour or so later and we were back on our way to JFK.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net