Thread: Banner Tows

Question Banner Tows

I never recall seeing this topic discussed. I often see banner tow aircraft in the summer flying low over the Brooklyn shore. On Sunday, we saw one with an offensive message, especially for those who lost loved ones during WWII. I was wondering if these small aircraft are regulated as to content, if they need permission to fly along the shore and if they are in contact with flight control. Thanks for any info.

What did it say?

It advertised for a neo-Nazi group which didn't bother us so much, but included a twisted cross atop a Star of David; very offensive but obviously banner tows are not regulated as to content so anything can be flown. I always thought they were regulated.

Found this, happened quite a while back though.. http://mikelearportfolio.blogspot.co...al-banner.html

This was from last summer up there, same banner? http://antisemitism.org.il/article/7...wish-community
    Last edited by RWB; 2013-07-24 at 04:40 PM.
    PANTS UP, DON'T LOOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    I never recall seeing this topic discussed. I often see banner tow aircraft in the summer flying low over the Brooklyn shore. On Sunday, we saw one with an offensive message, especially for those who lost loved ones during WWII. I was wondering if these small aircraft are regulated as to content, if they need permission to fly along the shore and if they are in contact with flight control. Thanks for any info.
    Like any aircraft flying around they have to maintain contact with the airport Tower they are flying closest to especially around Brooklyn. Along with them flying there are helicopters that use the shore route along with general aviation fixed wings!! The farther they fly out east, like past the Jones Beach Monument I believe they utilize 123.050 to announce their location. On one such visit to the beach last week there were about four helicopters, a USCG C-130 Hercules, a few fixed wings and about three banner tows all going either east or west at various altitudes. Some of the helos I notice fly a little furthur out over the ocean to avoid the slower moving fixed wing traffic.

Banner Tows never ever contact TCA control at JFK (Class B frequencies). Tower does occasionally warn other pilots about them.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

It advertised for a neo-Nazi group which didn't bother us so much, but included a twisted cross atop a Star of David
    http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...k-swastika.php
    Last Saturday, handfuls of people around the world celebrated the fourth annual “Swastika Rehabilitation Day,” an event dedicated to putting the Nazi symbol in a more positive light. The festivities included planes carrying swastika banners over New York City and revelers with swastika facepaint and signs designed to highlight the symbol’s pre-Hitler roots. “The swastika in our symbol stands for infinity in time and the interlocking triangles represent infinity in space,”
    PANTS UP, DON'T LOOT!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Banner Tows never ever contact TCA control at JFK (Class B frequencies). Tower does occasionally warn other pilots about them.
    Why is that Manny? Shouldnt they be required or if they are flying along the coastline from the Rockaways to the VZ its self announce? Hell do they even do that?

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I can't speak to the why, but I can attest that it is extremely rare for a banner tow to ever contact TCA at JFK. The controller's line on a summer day typically goes something like this, "Traffic westbound along the shoreline, 500 feet, type unknown, appears to be a banner tow." It isn't just the banner tows either, there is a fair number of GA aircraft that the tower will give traffic advisories about saying "type unknown."
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    If they're under the Class B floor then they don't have to talk to anyone. Traffic separation is the responsibility of the pilots to see and avoid. If it's uncontrolled airspace, then no permission is required to fly anywhere, provided they remain more than 500' away from any person, building, or terrain.

As far as the content of the banner, hate speech is generally protected under the First Amendment, but as with anything law-related, there's a lot of nuance and interpretation.

Thanks guys for the info.

Thanks so much. This is indeed the same banner. Thanks for finding this article. I guess it's a free country!

Thanks so much. This is indeed the same banner. Thanks for finding this article. I guess it's a free country!
    So I guess its more "X Files" than Anti-Semitism concerning the banner!! Interesting stuff.
    What really was interesting was the banner tow condom ad and the controller at Teterboro who when finding out what the banner said refused to allow the plane near Giants Stadium!! Govt Censorship?

http://www.app.com/article/20130726/...ll-plane-crash

This plane was departing to pick up a banner tow when it crashed!! Maybe it was the plane that carried that Nazi banner the other day and this was its karma!!

Might be true. I no longer see that offensive banner over Coney. Instead, I saw 2 British B744s, Qantas B744, the AFR A388 and a Qatar B777 on Tuesday. You should see the funny looks I got from the many lifeguards who were unaware of plane spotting. There are even police dune buggies nowadays on the beach, even before the new terror alert. They are mostly looking to ticket smokers, people bringing dogs on the beach, possession of open beer containers, but have been questioning photographers and those with binoculars as well. What a world!