Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southwest Nose Gear Up Landing at LGA

Southwest Nose Gear Up Landing at LGA

Happened around 5:45, Flight 345 from Nashville landed on LGa Runway 4 nose gear up. LGA shutdown, no injuries reported, passengers still on plane.
    CNN having coverage areound the Royal Baby Boy!!

Post Southwest Boeing 737 Involved In Nose Gear Incident at LGA

NYCAviation:
    Southwest Boeing 737 Involved In Nose Gear Incident at LGA

A clearer picture here @NYCAviation @SouthwestAir pic.twitter.com/xzIMS6pjcA — shimmerskies
    [Click to Read Full Article]

Went out to get a few dhots tonight!! Boy that was ugly. Also confirmed that 11 were injured

Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Channel 4/NBC was hanging out at Planeview Park doing stories and Live Feed at 7 last night!!

Quick question to the guys with ATC knowledge here!! What happens to all the aircraft that were lined up to land behind this plane? Can someone take us inside the ATC? It must be crazy with everyone on deck working to keep all the planes safe and get them landed someone else. This isnt like weather where you have some time to make the diversions. This is "HOLY CRAP" time!! I was thinking about this when the Asiana crashed but our airspace a little more crazy than SFO.
    Thanks.

NTSB pic of electronics bay of Southwest 737 at LGA penetrated by landing gear. Only right axle attached.

https://twitter.com/NTSB/status/359794743590412288/photo/1

NTSB investigating accident involving nose-gear collapse of SWA 737 at LGA. Photo after evacuation.
    https://twitter.com/NTSB/status/359780711097569281/photo/1
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I would like to know also Gerard. Especially in this case as there are surrounding airports so close.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Quick question to the guys with ATC knowledge here!! What happens to all the aircraft that were lined up to land behind this plane? Can someone take us inside the ATC? It must be crazy with everyone on deck working to keep all the planes safe and get them landed someone else. This isnt like weather where you have some time to make the diversions. This is "HOLY CRAP" time!! I was thinking about this when the Asiana crashed but our airspace a little more crazy than SFO.
    Thanks.
    This might give you an idea: http://www.nycaviation.com/newspage/.../07/SWA345.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Thanks.
    You hear ATC sending the planes on Tower Freq around and passing them back to Approach on the liveatc clips. The ones still on Approach just get vectored as needed. Tower usually only has a few planes to deal with, so it is high stress dealing with ARFF and sending planes around, but it is over pretty quickly. For Approach, it isn't too bad since departures are stopped, so they just have deal with where to put the arrivals that can't land.

So basically everyone gets a go around for starters and goes to 2000 feet? Sorry I am not use to listening to the ATC. Thanks for that link. It was quick as they only have to handle about 4 or 5 on approach.

It seems that only the flight directly behind the SWA 737 had to do a missed approach. Flight AAL 732 from DFW was told to go eastward towards Dix Hills and she was put into the arrival sequence at JFK's 22L where she arrived at 1801. The other flights into LGA probably went either to JFK or EWR. I also was wondering the same thing. Years ago, when I was a novice spotter, I saw an aircraft approach 2 different runways at JFK for landing. I later learned that the first approach was missed, so the aircraft, I think a Concorde, went around. It appeared that it had landed twice!

Thanks guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Ohare View Post
    So basically everyone gets a go around for starters and goes to 2000 feet? Sorry I am not use to listening to the ATC. Thanks for that link. It was quick as they only have to handle about 4 or 5 on approach.
    The initial go around plan for that approach is probably to climb to 2,000ft. The aircraft will then get handed off to NY Approach/Center/Departure and then be told what to do next. In this situation, the aircraft were probably sent in a couple different directions, maybe entered a holding pattern, and then diverted to other airports as per the airline's preference/ability.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I'm just wondering what caused them to land nose-first.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I'm just wondering what caused them to land nose-first.
    Stick actuator malfunction?
    ;-)