Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chasing Waterfalls

Great shots!
    Timothy LaBranche

See my photos on:
    Timothy LaBranche.com
    Flickr
    JetPhotos.net

Finally had good weather on a weekend when I was home, so I took a ride out for some more waterfalls. First stop was Dupont State Forest and Triple Falls. As Don said, it's quite spectacular.

At this intermediary section, you can go out into the water at the base of the upper falls section, and being a warm, sunny Saturday, there were loads of people there - it was a challenge to get a mostly clear shot.

Looking down the lower section.

From the same parking area, it's an easy walk to Hooker Falls, but I've read that they are even more popular for splashing around in, so I'm saving that for a cooler day. After leaving Dupont, I stopped at Looking Glass Falls. They are right off the highway - and are also a popular swimming site.

Not far from these, is the Living Waters Ministry retreat center. They have three waterfalls on their property, and they permit the public to enter and view them. Two of them are side by side - the French Broad Falls (on the left) and the Shoal Creek Falls.

Down the river from those two is Cathedral Falls. These are from the upper portion of the falls. The trail looked like it continued down toward the bottom, but it was getting dark and I decided to save that for another time.

I did spend some time on the Blue Ridge Parkway - found a nice spot to shoot sunset, and maybe do some star photography. Unfortunately, just as the sun was heading down, the clouds started rolling in...

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Beautiful!!
    -Don B.

back in '93 I was spending 3 nights a week in Asheville, on a freight run that originated in Toronto,we flew DC3s, round the the clock , in every type of weather, we faced the worst ice encountered in my career over those Blue Ridge mountains, but I came to love,and cherish our time there.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!