Thread: Adobe Photoshop CC- Shake Reduction Filter

Adobe Photoshop CC- Shake Reduction Filter

Hey Guys,

I have recently been playing around with Adobe's new Shake reduction filter in Photoshop CC, and thought I would share an example of an aviation photo reworked with this tool for those who might be curious.

I have included 2 images, identical in every aspect of post processing with the exception of the use of this filter on the 2nd image (and a slight inconsistency in my ability to crop the same image identically).

The original

And with shake reduction applied

Adobe has provided a fairly nice and short tutorial here

Just some notes from my own attempts in using this with aviation photos:

1) You may have to get crafty is using it with a warbird or other propeller driven aircraft-that prop has blur after all, and this will try to correct it, resulting in some weird looking props. Duplicating the original, blurred props and erasing the filtered props tends to work just fine here-of course it takes some extra time

2) The Adobe video, in my experience, tends to underestimate the amount of artifacts produced by this filter at times, so don't be afraid to use that slider and suppress them a bit. Also, I would tend to use this filter before applying noise reduction, as NR will tend to smooth out the somewhat over-sharpened look that this filter can sometimes produce if one isn't careful.

3) In photos of airliners in particular, the filter can sometimes "ghost" elements of the image, this is particularly noticeable with windows. You will see a small, light copy of the window or other object essentially adjacent to the original. There doesn't seem to be anything that can be done about this. Some paint schemes seem to exacerbate this problem, resulting in a mess of artifacts and lines in certain areas-small, fine lines or stripes seem to be the culprit here.

4) Some images simply seem to work better with this than others, regardless of amount of blur, so don't get frustrated! With the above in mind, some photos just do not seem to "like" this filter. It can be frustrating, but keep trying with different images. I know that I have saved a few that I thought were goners. They may not be printable at poster size, but they look fine at 1200 pixels wide...

Cheers!

Nick

We have been playing with the filter also. We shot at a butterfly pavilion a few weeks ago and any blurry picture was drastically better after we used it.

That looks like a damn good filter for that!! Any idea how it works on large-end shots that are being prepped for print?

(I wonder how non-photo guys would look at this..."I see no difference" haha)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Phil to be honest with you I wouldn't use it on something I wanted to print more than a 8 x 10. I may be too much of a perfectionist when it comes to large prints.

For thos that have no idea what we are talking about. Watch this video starting at the 7 minute mark http://tv.adobe.com/watch/creative-c...-photoshop-cc/