Thread: Going Oceanic: Basic Lesson in North Atlantic Tracks

Post Going Oceanic: Basic Lesson in North Atlantic Tracks

NYCAviation:
    Going Oceanic: Basic Lesson in North Atlantic Tracks

What goes into navigating a flight over the ocean? There might be more to it than you think.
    [Click to Read Full Article]

Don't forget about SLOP!

Nice article though explaining the basics behind a typical Atlantic crossing!

Ha, thanks man. There was so much more I could have discussed but kept it simple. I'll probably do another article about Gander/Shanwick and all of the ARINC stuff around the world.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Wait...there's no radar coverage over the oceans????

It was very informative and I enjoyed it a lot Phil.

great artical, and love the 737-200 photo at the top....
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Phil, excellent article. One additional note, is that biz-jets that have the ability to cross at FL450 & above do not need to adhere to the tracks.
    They must be at their flight level before they hit the entry point though, or they must follow the track.

Atlantic Tracks

Enjoyed reading Phil's great article about the use of the Atlantic Tracks used by Trans-Atlantic flights. This explains why there is so much variation in departures/arrivals paths to and from JFK. Sometimes, they head-out to BETTE, but also to GREKI or MERIT, etc. Inbounds, most often use ACK, PVD, and TRAIT but some come in more northerly following the Thruway passing over ING and LENDY. This explains why I saw an inbound Emirates A388 pass north of the Intrepid on a clear day at about 19,000' a few months ago. Yes, the Concorde used a different path. I recall it used W-105A. Somewhere in my collection I have a route map for the Air France Concorde as my friends' husband was Chief Dispatcher for Air France at JFK in the 80's until retirement. Still the best site on Aviation !

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    Enjoyed reading Phil's great article about the use of the Atlantic Tracks used by Trans-Atlantic flights. This explains why there is so much variation in departures/arrivals paths to and from JFK. Sometimes, they head-out to BETTE, but also to GREKI or MERIT, etc. Inbounds, most often use ACK, PVD, and TRAIT but some come in more northerly following the Thruway passing over ING and LENDY. This explains why I saw an inbound Emirates A388 pass north of the Intrepid on a clear day at about 19,000' a few months ago. Yes, the Concorde used a different path. I recall it used W-105A. Somewhere in my collection I have a route map for the Air France Concorde as my friends' husband was Chief Dispatcher for Air France at JFK in the 80's until retirement. Still the best site on Aviation !
    I have "The Concorde Story" (6th Edition). In the inside covers, it shows the trans-atlantic tracks for the BA Concordes. If I've understood them correctly, they used Tracks "SM" for Westbound flights and "SN" for Eastbound flights. "SO" was a "reserve" track. Additional Concorde tracks were SWB and SEB. W105A BDY was a warning area for military training or test flights. On arrival to NY, Concorde had to cross W105A BDY at 52,000ft when the area was "active".

The cool thing about these charts is that they show the various supersonic acceleration and deceleration points for each track, which varied depending on which airports were being utilized for a given flight.
    Last edited by Speedbagel_001; 2013-07-13 at 11:07 PM.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Very interesting read Phil!
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]