Thread: NextGen Procedures at JFK

NextGen Procedures at JFK

In the July issue of "Airport Press", right on the cover, is a very interesting article about NextGen procedures being used now by JetBlue when using the VOR 13L/R Approach to JFK. As a spotter with no flying experience, I'd like to learn more about the procedure. I often spot at the Brooklyn shoreline and have not noticed anything new. What exactly are these changes? Are new procedures also used for the VOR?DME 22L Approach or the Expr/Vis 31 LGA Approaches? Just curious?

As far as I know, none of the approach procedures have been changed at JFK. Mostly Visual Approach for 13L lately... rarely ILS and once in a while, Cat I/II/III ILS in heavy fog or heavy rain.

FOr 13L I have been there when they use RNAV approach which uses plane's own internal navi as opposed to the localizer on the field. Also, NextGEn can be used far from the field too, not just near or at the field. Do they specify if it is at the field itself?

BTW, this CAT III ILS video from the cockpit is SICK!!!

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    These are procedures developed in-house by JetBlue in coordination with the FAA, and they're not released for general public use. While other aircraft are flying a VOR to the 13s, which requires flying a path and a curve based on ground-based navigational aids, JBU aircraft can fly a GPS approach that allows a shorter flightpath and a more even descent, which results in lower fuel usage (and thus saves money). Most ground-based observers will barely detect a change. Google JetBlue NextGen JFK, and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of articles and animations that explain it more clearly.

Alaska Airlines has done the same for some of their more remote stations where the limitations of ground-based navaids coupled with the tricky terrain makes for some convoluted approach procedures.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    jetBlue also has their own RVAN visual approach for the EV31 approach into LGA.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Manny that video is SICK!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

IKR? I can't imagine that sort of lack of visual clues... The worst I ever experienced myself was San Francisco a few years ago ... 28L landing, heavy fog almost all the way down. We popped the bottom of the fog at about 50 feet. Very scary!!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS