Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Visit Solar Impulse at JFK Sunday July 14 at JFK!

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Thanks. I may just head over there this afternoon. Is the spot you shot Dream Lifter from accessible, or can you only get to through the exhibit?
    -Don B.

It is accessible, but the lot I was in I was only in for a minute. It's right before a ramp checkpoint. To my right were lot employees standing around a car chatting and to my left, there was a field access gate with an attendant that was conducting under-vehicle bomb checks on trucks entering the ramp. So I would drive in, run up to the fence, grab the shot and vamoose if I were you. Plus, you'll end up with the fence links in your photo as a wide angle lens is required and the front element of those things has a larger diameter than what the fence will accommodate.

Not sure when the thing will go out, but like I said its been sitting there for a while. Hope you don't end up driving down there in this heat to find its departed. Check flightaware:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N780BA

A month too late, but I am curious about the cost of tickets to see Solar Impulse at Hangar 19. What happened to the aircraft after the exhibit?

It was free. The aircraft is gone now. Not sure where they put it. Probably took it apart and flew the pieces to Europe.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

FYI -It was transported back home to Switzerland on August 5th on a Cargolux 747 and it landed at Dübendorf airfield there.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    To add to what Chris said, it has been put into storage in Switzerland for now. In the future it may see a life as a museum exhibit, but nothing has been determined yet. The bigger priority at this point is getting HB-SIB into the air next year.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]