Thread: Problem with this site

Problem with this site

Suddenly, when using this site after all these years, I get a warning message, "Stop running this Script". A script on this page is causing your web browser....... This warning appears constantly. As I am not computer savvy like Derf and don't even know how to post photos, why is that warning suddenly appearing? Is the problem with my PC or with the site? Please help. Thanks.

My work computer (Windows) gets very slow when browsing the non-forum parts of NYCA, and I do get error messages as well. No issues on my home Mac though. I find NYCA a little blotted at times... Ads, tag clouds, social media buttons, etc. Add videos to that and it takes a good chunk of your RAM capabilities (eg. the current Solar Impulse page is wayyyy too blotted imo)
    Last edited by RomNYC; 2013-07-07 at 01:50 PM.

Speedbird, switch to Firefox or Chrome Browser. On either one, download and install Ad-Block Plus and the Pop-up add-on for it. Worth every penny. Will even block ANY Flash on the page if you want it to.

Flash is likely one of the worst culprits of bad performance on your browser as well as poorly written SOAP/JSON (SOAPjr) in place of pure SOAP. Bad JavaScript can also cause browser pains. But we can;t live without JavaScript these days as well as HTML5/CSS3 /// So, what do you do? MAKE SURE you have a good fresh version of your browser, turn off all the junk you don;t need. DO NOT add many plugins if you can help it. DO NOT run out of memory. Memory is your friend ... if things go bad, having good fast RAM and lots of it will reduce the time between REBOOTS in order to clear out problems.

I must say, my latest build is my best yet, and Windows 8 Enterprise x64 has proven BSOD free for about 4 months of non-stop computing... not a single re-boot other than Windows Updates. I think ECC helps too but, I have 32GB of it and keep the installed program base down to minimum. I notice Firefox sometimes running about 8 to 10 GB of RAM all on it's own!! It is a true memory slut. Chrome is a bit better but shares a single memory space for all tabs which I do not like. In FF, one tab dies, the others keep humming. In Chrome, one bad tab can kill the stack.

Such is life :/
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Manny you animal! 32G's o'RAM! On board video or dedicated card?

Thanks for the suggestions. Any idea why only this site is giving me problems? I navigate hundreds of sights and never got this message, "Stop running the script, Script on this page is causing your web browser to run slowly". I always noticed that this site is slower to load on Windows than any other. Is it a technical issue with the site? I do notice a revision with lots of pop-up ads. Should I try to block these ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    In Chrome, one bad tab can kill the stack.
    I don't think that's true; Chrome utilizes a separate process for each tab to avoid exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    I notice Firefox sometimes running about 8 to 10 GB of RAM all on it's own!! It is a true memory slut.
    Not a software issue in my book. A webmaster's issue, yes.

We have a lot of stuff running within the site at once, which we are aware of and is fairly tedious to remove without affecting other areas of the site. But we are working on it. Sorry folks.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    No Script for Firefox people. You're all very welcome.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]