Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Asiana 777 Crashes at SFO

Asiana 777 Crashes at SFO

Not much news yet, looks like it came down short of the runway. The photos Imhave seen do not look good. Prayers to all involved.

Post BREAKING: Plane Crash at SFO

NYCAviation:
    BREAKING: Plane Crash at SFO

Reports are coming in of a plane crash taking place at San Francisco International airport, involving an Asiana 777 that crashed on landing.
    [Click to Read Full Article]

From the video I'm seeing it looks like she came in very low and clipped her tail on the rocks/breakwater at the end of the runway.

Thoughts and prayers for all involved, thankfully it does appear as though there's some survivors.

UPDATE: According to a former senior FAA official, he's heard from "good sources" that everyone got off safely, let's pray that his source is correct.
    Last edited by captmjk16; 2013-07-06 at 03:57 PM.

Turned to CNN on Sirius radio in my car when I heard about this and one of the first eyewitneses they talked to was a guy plane spotting in a nearby hotel.

And you have to love the pasengers who after deploying down the rescue chutes stopped to take pictures and go on Twitter!!

Judging by the live news-feeds it looks like the ceiling/top of the fuselage was on fire before it landed. Sounds silly, but, I wonder if a majority of the empennage was lost beforehand as well. I remember when the top of a Saudia L-1011 blew its top of 30 years back when it landed as well. I believe a faulty coffee maker or some such item caused the fire.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewild View Post
    Judging by the live news-feeds it looks like the ceiling/top of the fuselage was on fire before it landed. Sounds silly, but, I wonder if a majority of the empennage was lost beforehand as well. I remember when the top of a Saudia L-1011 blew its top of 30 years back when it landed as well. I believe a faulty coffee maker or some such item caused the fire.

I disagree.

The first twittered pictures don't show any evidence of the ceiling being on fire. The first shots show that there is a fire burning on the right side. The fire appears to have extended to the passenger cabin & through the top of the fuselage.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!

Latest report indicates possibly 2 fatalities and roughly 50 injuries (burn/smoke inhalation).

The second I saw the video of the runway threshold and back, I figured he landed quite a bit short. He may have had a mechanical issue in the last seconds prior to touchdown, or he just blew the landing. And considering the fact he came in hard, I'd say it is probably the latter. Maybe he began to stall at the last seconds? Some people say he hit the tail, and then tried to take off again. We can only assume, I suppose.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    In good wx and visibility how did he not make the runway? If it was fuel why no emergency call to ATC? Everything is pointing to sudden loss of power.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by captmjk16 View Post
    Latest report indicates possibly 2 fatalities and roughly 50 injuries (burn/smoke inhalation).
    Interesting CNN not talking injuries though their crawl saw USCG medevaced person to hospital and AP report on KGO saying 2 dead, 61 injured. And FOX News not certain on that either. They are all awaiting "Official" reports but with Twitter, FB etc its hard to not have info get out.
    Last edited by Gerard; 2013-07-07 at 12:14 AM.

Amazing that there are only 2 fatalities being reported. I am guessing it will be easy for them to get the flight data recorder?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    And you have to love the pasengers who after deploying down the rescue chutes stopped to take pictures and go on Twitter!!
    THANK YOU! One guy is even a "hero" for turning down a CNN interview after he tweeted his junk all afternoon. Hundreds of simple-minded idiots on Twitter are in love with him for not seeking publicity. Then WHY THE HELL do you post your crash scene photos on Twitter? Keep it to yourself man, only the NTSB needs to know what you know.

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    In good wx and visibility how did he not make the runway? If it was fuel why no emergency call to ATC? Everything is pointing to sudden loss of power.
    Or major pilot error?

Quote Originally Posted by RomNYC View Post
    THANK YOU! One guy is even a "hero" for turning down a CNN interview after he tweeted his junk all afternoon. Hundreds of simple-minded idiots on Twitter are in love with him for not seeking publicity. Then WHY THE HELL do you post your crash scene photos on Twitter? Keep it to yourself man, only the NTSB needs to know what you know.
    I really disagree with you. CNN has been a reporting massacre when it comes to aviation...he probably knows they would just distort everything and make it out to be something different than what it is. He chose wisely. Twitter has proven to be a move reliable news source than any mainstream media outlet.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].