Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Asiana 777 Crashes at SFO

From thread #1 about this crash over on anet, reply #22: "NYCAviation is reporting fuel problems. Perhaps fuel exhaustion?"

Did I miss that in this thread here, or was that totally made up? I re-read this thread and didn't see anyone here talking about them running out of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by 727C47 View Post
    at that point all the checklists are done, save the takeoff checklist, your head is outside, you are watching something like that develop with a growing sense of disbelief. God have mercy.
    Thank you, I was thinking that was the case. I feel bad for those pilots and passengers that saw it to as they are probably reliving that moment over and over again. The pilots could see what was coming but the passengers on that side of the plane must of had some fireball going past them at that point.

What would the next step be shut off the engines and wait for instructions? Maybe drive further down the runway to get away from it? I would like to hear what they were being told what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    From thread #1 about this crash over on anet, reply #22: "NYCAviation is reporting fuel problems. Perhaps fuel exhaustion?"

Did I miss that in this thread here, or was that totally made up? I re-read this thread and didn't see anyone here talking about them running out of gas.
    That was one of the very early reports, which was in something I retweeted in the NYCA account. Obviously, that was not true and never made it into any of my articles.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Apparently 43 hours on a 777-200 is worse than 42? or 1? How about this new rule, how about all pilots must have 12,000 hours or more of experience behind the stick of any plane they are about to fly for the first time... errr... huh?

THer will always be ONE person who does it for THE FIRST TIME. Regardless... Of course, we can always have the airlines make pilots fly empty planes for a year or two, once a day, and then get into flying a plane full of pax. But, it will still be their first time with a plane full of people.

While this is horrible, I can't imagine the Pilot or Co-Pilot wanting this to happen or even allowing a huge mistake to be made without some sort of warning. So far from the looks of it, pilot error, indeed, but something else should have contributed to it. There were two brains on that cockpit, both with experience in general. VFR rules likely meant their experience behind the 777-200 mattered less than their OVERALL experience. I can't imagine they simply let their guard down.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Manny the more I hear about this, the more I think it could be a small combination of things. Just not one thing, it just doesn't make sense.

When you hear these retired pilots talking on CNN all you hear is the "I have no idea" in their voice. You can tell they are trying to figure it out but it doesn't make sense to them either.

I am sure once the NTSB gets more details they will figure this one out and it wont take as long as usual.

Just went to WikiNews this morning. They report that smoke was reported coming from the aircraft after departure from Incheon. No other agency reported this. If true, this could be very important or it could be nothing. Another reason why we spotters should be encouraged to take photos. If smoke were emanating from the aircraft and was captured by a photographer at Incheon, this would greatly aid the investigation.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Ohare View Post
    Manny the more I hear about this, the more I think it could be a small combination of things. Just not one thing, it just doesn't make sense.

When you hear these retired pilots talking on CNN all you hear is the "I have no idea" in their voice. You can tell they are trying to figure it out but it doesn't make sense to them either.

I am sure once the NTSB gets more details they will figure this one out and it wont take as long as usual.
    CFIT doesn't really involve a combination of things. It involves a crew that flies a perfectly good airplane into the ground, mountain, water, etc because they either weren't flying fast enough or lost sight of where they where.
    Last edited by NIKV69; 2013-07-08 at 07:24 AM.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    CFIT doesn't really involve a combination of things. It involves a crew that flies a perfectly good airplane into the ground, mountain, water, etc because they either weren't flying fast enough or lost sight of where they where.
    It's never that simple. There are almost always a series of things that happen that culminate in a crash, which is why they have a team of investigators looking at everything involved.

Yup.....all the facts need to be gathered and collaborated. Obviously the media jumps to their own conclusions.
    Last edited by Zee71; 2013-07-08 at 07:31 PM.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Yup.....all the facts need to gathered and collaborated. Obviously the media jumps to their own conclusions.
    Sure, but I get the feeling in a year or so when the official probable cause is released with the animation it will be the same. Pilot let air speed decay to the point lift was lost. Controlled flight into terrain.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

My complete GUESS is one or a combination of wrong altimeter setting and disconnected auto throttles and didn't see loss in speed.
    -
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbc-news/52423611#52423611

New video showing passengers fleeing the plane.
    BTw I believe I heard that the United 747 that was sitting there couldnt be moved for about 2 hours. And I did read a story, cant seem to find it, that the United pilots were giving reports to the Tower about
    what was going on. Must be LiveATC tapes of that.
    And we must give credit to the controllers on managing all the planes inbound to SFO and getting them safely somewhere else!! That would be an interesting read!!

Incredible video!

If video is going to be NTSB's best ally in the future, people HAVE GOT to learn how to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by RomNYC View Post
    If video is going to be NTSB's best ally in the future, people HAVE GOT to learn how to shoot.
    Not unless they're paid professionals they don't. In the heat of the moment, when sh*t is going down and your hands are shaking, I would consider myself lucky that I could even get my phone in video mode, let alone shoot straight.