Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Asiana 777 Crashes at SFO

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I really disagree with you. CNN has been a reporting massacre when it comes to aviation...he probably knows they would just distort everything and make it out to be something different than what it is. He chose wisely. Twitter has proven to be a move reliable news source than any mainstream media outlet.
    Will not debate how awful mainstream media are, no question. Now, jumping to the conclusion that Twitter is MORE reliable, can't follow you there Phil. The guy posted his pics, before he had any idea what happened besides the fact that he survived a plane crash. Seeing a burning wreckage might be "news", but it certainly isn't "information".

Besides these considerations (doesn't really matter if we disagree), I hate the fact that people are losing all sense in such circumstances nowadays. Your first reflex is to take photos of the plane crash you survived, when others might be injured 3 feet from where you stand? When you could possibly give moral comfort to someone in need? The guy is a hypocrite idiot as far as I'm concerned. And people call him a "hero" (check his twitter, @Eunner)? Please.

I'll repeat myself, you don't want publicity, don't post it.

EDIT: I remember a certain former member of these forums who posted pictures of the Air France A380 clipping that CRJ, a federal investigation. He got banned. Now we're praising some other guy for doing the same, for the sake of RELIABLE news? Let's try to be consistent around here.
    Last edited by RomNYC; 2013-07-06 at 11:19 PM.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by RomNYC View Post
    Or major pilot error?
    That would be an understatement. In perfect wx and visibility that was a bad miss short. I think any pilot worth anything would have had enough time to thrust the levers forward and go around in time when they saw they were that off.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

THANK YOU! One guy is even a "hero" for turning down a CNN interview after he tweeted his junk all afternoon. Hundreds of simple-minded idiots on Twitter are in love with him for not seeking publicity. Then WHY THE HELL do you post your crash scene photos on Twitter? Keep it to yourself man, only the NTSB needs to know what you know.
    "Hero" really? That is not a term I would apply to him for not seeking publicity!! Thats fine he wants to avoid the media but by taking that picture (which BTW I thought was pretty cool as an "on scene" moment, to be honest with you) he leaves himself open to the media hungry for those eyewitness reports!! How he deals with the media bombardment for info is up to him.

EDIT: I remember a certain former member of these forums who posted pictures of the Air France A380 clipping that CRJ, a federal investigation. He got banned. Now we're praising some other guy for doing the same, for the sake of RELIABLE news? Let's try to be consistent around here.
    He wasn't a passenger posting photos he had taken following the incident. He was an employee posting photos taken at work inside a hangar not accessible to the public. Two very different things.

I don't know about the rest of you, but if I had just walked away uninjured from a major plane crash, and there wasn't anyone nearby in obvious need of assistance, I'd damn well take photos of it.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you, but if I had just walked away uninjured from a major plane crash, and there wasn't anyone nearby in obvious need of assistance, I'd damn well take photos of it.
    LMAO I'm with you on this one!!

I met a guy last year who was a passenger on the LOT flight that belly landed,and he took several photos after he got off the plane.

Doug

Sad to see that this was the first ever Boeing 777 crash which took 2 lives. from all the images I saw this afternoon, there was many odds about this crash. Pilot error is possible, cant say that though, for the nose being too high striking the tail, something wrong with that picture
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Interview with a crash victim from the NBC affiliate with a video of the debris field on the runway ....

News link: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...214499761.html
    Last edited by teriyakisoz; 2013-07-07 at 02:47 AM.

I'm with Moose, if able I'd be snapping away if not taking video, you never know how important those images could be in helping figure out what happened.

As usual the media outlets have been insanely ridiculous in their reporting, "this man is an expert pilot with dozens of hours in single engine planes" then the guy proceeds to tell them he doesn't know much about airliners as they grill him... Early on the anchors couldn't seem to identify an engine or a tail on one of the networks.

for what it is worth, here is remark from a person who saw the approach:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23214500

and here is the audio clip of the tower:

http://soberbuildengineer-com.s3.ama...KSFO-Crash.mp3

now that's a good controller. suddenly he had two jobs, dispatching of the emergency equipment, and maintaining his engagement with his duties as the tower controller.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta777LR View Post
    Sad to see that this was the first ever Boeing 777 crash which took 2 lives. from all the images I saw this afternoon, there was many odds about this crash. Pilot error is possible, cant say that though, for the nose being too high striking the tail, something wrong with that picture
    I thought the same thing but it's sure looking like CFIT. The CVR will tell the tale. If you hear "too low! Terrain!" then not much of a secret.

We have a member here from Korea here who has a sister that was flying home to SFO. She lost two front teeth and her husband broke his collar bone. It is so surreal.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

R.I.P. for the 2 lives lost and hope for speedy recovery for the injured.

Radio Altimeter settings will be interesting to watch... As PWs would have power down (flare stage of the landing) well short of runway thrushold, and PF (pilot flying) realizing @ last moment about below the beam bar (ILS was inop) situation, attempts to go around and the tail strikes.

In any event, this could have been so worse if they were mere few feets lower at the strike point. Fuselage took immense G forces and did not over pitch down (could have flipped). OZ crew performed well trained evac in specified 90 sec or less with 1/2 exits available.

Raj

The guy posted his pics, before he had any idea what happened besides the fact that he survived a plane crash. Seeing a burning wreckage might be "news", but it certainly isn't "information".
    Actually his pic and those that others took while fleeing the crash are "information" for the investigating teams!!
    And its a sign of the times how social media had the information about this crash out before mainstream media. I was over by the Dave & Busters parking lot off of 1-9 at FRG awaiting the departure of their L-39 for a
    few flybys. Earlier their Corsair had done the same. I was sitting in my car to get a break from the heat checking my FB NewsFeed when I saw a post "An Asiana 777 has crashed off the end of 28R at SFO" then seconds later a second post of a picture from across the water of heavy smoke coming from the downed airliner. Both posts were put up by someone I know who is in the airline industry so I knew this info was quite reliable. 3 minutes later I turned on 1010 WINS for their headlines at 3PM. They were still talking about the heat wave. At 3:20 still the heat. From 1010 at 3PM I switched over to CNN feed on my Sirius radio. They were talking about Egypt and in fact they didnt start to break this story until almost 15 minutes after I saw the first post on Facebook!! Dont have Twitter but I can imagine it was also blowing up over this.
    I mean think about it getting a twitter post from a friend that reads "I just crashed landed at SFO. Tail ripped off. Most everyone seems fine. I'm ok, Surreal...." Yes very surreal!!

FDR, CVR are at the labs in DC now
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

An NTSB spokesperson (a person assumed to be responsible and professional) and Asiana Airlines (an entity assumed to be responsible and professional) are BOTH saying there doesnt appear to have been anything wrong with the aircraft prior to this incident. Asiana SPECIFICALLY says there didnt appear to be anything wrong WITH THE ENGINES prior to the crash. NEITHER have been able to examine the flight recorders or even speak to the pilots on an official level. I would expect this from elsewhere, but not from those who are supposed to have level heads. The world is obsessed with assigning blame for EVERYTHING before ANYTHING is known. If the pilots are at fault, then let it be decided by process, not by speculation, especially from those whos job it is to get to the facts. Ridiculous.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1392130
    Regards,
    Bill