Thread: Shooting through windows

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar

Shooting through windows

During a recent layover at KYWG I was doing some shooting through my airport hotel window and also from an enclosed observatory at the field. Since the days of open-air observation decks are gone, shooting through windows is your only option at many spotting locations.

Anyway, I managed to find some relatively clean areas of glass to shoot through, but I'm noticing that the UV coating and/or window tinting is the real image killer. In post, I'm struggling to get rid of that cast with little success. I think it cancels out the warm color information and you just can't get that back in post.

Anyone have a process, or formula that works for correcting this blue green cast when processing? Maybe even a compensating filter over the lens while shooting?

Thanks
    Last edited by Aviation.High.Guy; 2013-07-06 at 10:20 AM.
    -Don B.

What I do when I am shooting through a window is use the eyedropper tool to remove a color cast. I am assuming you're using Photoshop. If so, in Camera RAW, you can find an eye dropper tool to set white balance. Click on something that you know for a fact is white, black, or a neutral grey. The white balance should remove the awful color cast. Sometimes you have to tweak it just a bit, but that is the quickest way to do it.
    Timothy LaBranche

See my photos on:
    Timothy LaBranche.com
    Flickr
    JetPhotos.net

You need to be shooting in RAW. I've shot through glass plenty, and while in RAW, with the eye dropper tool in Photoshop or Lightroom, you can correct almost perfectly. Takes longer to process but it is possible.

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Thanks guys- I have been processing with Lightroom, but I work all the time in PS to retouch. I'll have to give the eyedropper tool a go.
    -Don B.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I'll preface this by saying that I'm far from a Lightroom expert Don, just learning to use it myself. In Lightroom 4 there is an eyedropper tool in the develop module under "basic". Select that and pick something white (black doesn't seem to work and i don't have anything neutral grey in my set from last night) and that may get you started in the right direction.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]