Thread: PHL on full frame

PHL on full frame

I found myself with some time to kill before needing to show up at a movie shoot to do some stills, so I thought I would see what all the hubbub's about with shooting aviation on full frame FX as opposed to a cropped sensor. A storm was coming, and I thought it would make for some dramatic shots.

Goin around!

In the end, I really liked the way the D700 kept noise to a minimum, and the images sharpen nicely. However, all of a sudden I realized I was dealing with vignetting even at f/9. At least I could crop most of that out, but it reminded me of when I shot film. Maybe I didn't shoot in dark enough conditions to make the most of the full frame 'advantage', but I think I'll be sticking with DX for aviation from now on.

There's a few great catches in there, 2, 4, 7, 8 and 9 are all tops in my book!

Looks like they switched on you!

Great stuff! Full frame is definitely the way to go. It is really easy to over sharpen an image. My normal workflow for sharpening has to be cut to 50% opacity because my images are almost tack sharp right out of the camera. Noise handling is also superb. I routinely up the ISO to 6400 with no hesitation on ruining the image.
    Timothy LaBranche

See my photos on:
    Timothy LaBranche.com
    Flickr
    JetPhotos.net