Thread: Hypothetically Speaking: TSA Security Test

Hypothetically Speaking: TSA Security Test

HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING: If you went to a shooting range to shoot a few hundred rounds, then went straight to the airport without washing your hands and received a random TSA hand test for explosives residue and passed, would you be concerned?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    That is a very good question, Phil. It could be that they have refined the test to look past gunpowder residue at this point since items containing gunpowder are relatively commonplace and legal. That test might be more focused on high explosives these days. (Edit, after a little bit of research, it seems that explosives residue testing should pick this sort of thing up) I do know that when they first started implementing the explosive residue testing, several pyrotechnicians in the entertainment industry had a hell of a time making their plane (and thus the next show) because there was residue covering them and most of their luggage. I haven't heard of any problems in recent years though. Not sure if it is because the test has become more refined or if it is because everybody (both TSA and the techs) are now more aware of what credentials need to be shown at the checkpoint to avoid problems. I'll put out a few feelers to see what I can find out.
    Last edited by Landing Lights; 2013-06-28 at 07:13 AM.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

PPM is the key... the residue, while present, will be very very minor in the grand scheme of things and should not raise eyebrows... although it should raise suspicion and cause the agent(s) to screen you a little further, in my opinion, profile you as the Israelis do... that may lead them to find out you're more of a normal gun range shooting dude than a bad guy doing harm to others.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I would definitely be concerned, and would never risk it. Plus, more often than not I end up finding shells in my bag after I get home, and that bag has also served as a carry on for camera gear. Don't want to imagine trying to explain spent shells to them.

At the very least, you'd probably miss your flight while they interrogate you, and to me it's not worth the trouble. It's just easier to keep my range days separate from my flying days

I flew specifically go to shooting! I was only there for like 3 hours haha.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].