Thread: Photographing A B25 at sunset

Photographing A B25 at sunset

Photographed Barbie III, a B25H during late sunset this evening! Let me know how I did with some of my first aviation night shots.

Nice first attempt Steve. I don't have any night experience, you may want to see if Fred/Mark/others that have done it have input for you. It looks like your flash is too focused though, you may want to invest in a diffuser or a softbox, or at least move it back a bit

Thanks! I see exactly what you mean. Maybe if Mark or Fred see's this they can give me some pointers.
    Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Nice first attempt Steve. I don't have any night experience, you may want to see if Fred/Mark/others that have done it have input for you. It looks like your flash is too focused though, you may want to invest in a diffuser or a softbox, or at least move it back a bit

I think it is great for a first attempt. An off camera flash will help for these types of shots.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I agree with the others--great first attempt. I've done a little playing with some night shots like this as well. Here is one of my attempts. Unfortunately it's a relatively low resolution photo and not all that great.

I've found several sources on the web with regard to lighting and techniques of "light painting."

David Hobby's "Strobist" website is a great resource for all things lighting. His Lighting 101 and Lighting 102 archives are a great place to start.

For various light painting techniques check out Troy Paiva's "Lost America" website. He gives information on the techniques he uses and, while he uses colored lights in his projects, the lighting could also be done with white lights.

Eric Curry uses another technique where he takes multiple exposures and combines them in Photoshop. His site is called "American Pride and Passion". He has several video vignettes where he explains his technique; one of my favorites is his photo titled "B-25 Bomber Crew plus 1". The video is about 7 minutes but I found it very interesting.

Keep up the good work and try different techniques along the way!
    Last edited by snydersnapshots; 2013-06-23 at 01:15 AM.

Thanks for your help guys. Fred I was using an off camera flash at first but it seemed the dark colors of the plane were absorbing the light too much. Then we just used the high beams on our car :)

sometimes you just have to do whatever you can, good call on the head lights. You want to make sure that your apature is wide open so the flash works better... If you have a remote you can make magic

Here is a video I made on triggers
    http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/...5309&k=w9t79HH

I paid $60 for my triggers
    Last edited by Derf; 2013-06-23 at 05:14 PM.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I actually did use triggers, I'm planning on going out sometime this week to try photographing something smaller like a Stearman or a Cub.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    sometimes you just have to do whatever you can, good call on the head lights. You want to make sure that your apature is wide open so the flash works better... If you have a remote you can make magic

Here is a video I made on triggers
    http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/...5309&k=w9t79HH

I paid $60 for my triggers

or do a longer exposure or bulb and paint it with a torch...maglites work wonders for that!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Thanks, could you recommend a good flashlight for light painting?
    Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory View Post
    or do a longer exposure or bulb and paint it with a torch...maglites work wonders for that!

Quote Originally Posted by sdspinelli2 View Post
    Like Mike said...
    Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory View Post
    ...maglites work wonders for that!

I have several.

Thanks I'll look into buying one!
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Like Mike said...

I have several.

Quote Originally Posted by sdspinelli2 View Post
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

The problem with mag-lights is that you will need a long exposure and you will blow out that great evening light. The real answer is HDR, or Triggers, or a very fast lens with off camera flash. The flashlight will work if it is really dark with little to no ambient light. just my $.02

The size of the bird does not matter if you have lots of flash power, I still recommend the technique in the video.

This was taken with me running around the entire aircraft with flashes. I wish I had triggers at that time!