Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LAX Spotting Event October 18-20, by NYCA and PHXSpotters

LAX Spotting Event October 18-20, by NYCA and PHXSpotters

We have teamed up with our friends at PHX Spotters to make a weekend-long event to welcome the first daytime arrival of the British Airways A380 to LAX from October 18-20 this fall. Primarily intended for the 18th, we will be making a full weekend of it! More details will come as we near, but we will be giving away prizes and have other events within the event for people to come and enjoy. It will be a pretty amazing time. Proud Bird Kickoff Party! Singapore Airlines is hosting an Evening at Proud Bird for our weekend event on Friday, October 18th! From 7pm to 9pm you will be able to enjoy hors d'oeuvres and cocktails in the Le May Room, hang out with fellow enthusiasts and win a prize or two for what will be the last aviation-themed soiree at Proud Bird before they close their doors for good this November.The event will be limited to the first 75 people that come, so get there early!HOTEL DISCOUNT: LAX Sheraton Gateway is the official hotel! It’s $110 per night when asking for the “LAX Spotter Meetup” discount on those dates, or you can book online at this specially arranged link... https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Star...3688&key=84BA1.Feel free to keep an eye on this thread and take part in the Facebook event we've built... https://www.facebook.com/events/574936365879196/?ref=3Ask questions and stay tuned for updates! Really hope you folks can make it. :)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

For me personally, it's early, but I'm planning on being there from the 17th to the 21st, likely to be staying at the Sheraton Gateway at LAX (love that place!).

I'm planning on going out the 17th, back the 20th. Which hotel has the best view of the airport?

John, I recently stayed at the Embassy Suites on Airport Blvd. and asked for the highest floor facing Los Angeles. The room has a small balcony and a sliding glass doors that opens. With a 70-300mm or 80-400mm you can shoot arrivals on the 24s from the room. I'll post some shots tomorrow that I took. I stayed at three various Marriotts near the Embassy Suites and none of them offered a good view although the Marriott Renaissance parking lot did provide a good view of 24 arrivals as well. The Embassy Suites is pricey but you get free breakfast and I think an evening social. Parking is around $22 or $25 per day.

I'm in for the spotting trip to LAX!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Sounds interesting - I'll have to check the calendar...

I believe that Phil is looking at room rates now. As for me and a couple of the guys we have a nice hotel we stay at right next to Imperial Hill. We are never in the room long enough to spend to much for a room. LOL

OH sorry should have posted this. We will be doing updates on the events Facebook page. So the link that Phil posted. If you "Like" I believe you will receive all the updates.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I was already planning to be out there the 19th through 22nd, but moved my flight to the morning of the 18th for this. Should be exciting!
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    For the Embassy at LAX, make sure to reserve a room with 2 doubles. All of the king rooms are on the back side of the hotel. There's street parking in front of the hotel, and I was able to find a spot without too much difficulty for the 3 or 4 nights I was there. Like anywhere, just read the signs. I've also still got a handful of breakfast tickets if anybody wants :>

Guys, we are arranging a special hotel rate at one of the airport hotels that we'll be pushing once we firm it up in a few days. So far it looks like it will be $110 per night, and it will be at the place that we are likely going to have an airline-sponsored food/drink event as well. So if you can hold off on booking a room, do so.

anybody want to share a room? I would be up for that.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

I won't be there because of my schedule (and let's face it, I ain't as passionate as you all are!) but I think that's a fantastic idea. Thanks Phil (and PHX Spotters) for organizing this.

I was in LA last week for work, but spent a few days before work to get a little spotting. As mentioned I stayed at the Embassy, and these were some early morning arrivals shots from the hotel balcony. Haven't made any reservations as of yet, waiting on the details. Unfortunately, I don't have Facebook or Twitter, so please keep me posted here.

ISO 320, 1/1000s, f/7.1 @ 200mm

ISO 320, 1/800s, f/7.1 @ 400mm

ISO 320, 1/640s, f/5.6 @ 380mm
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Whatever you do keep Phil out of Del Taco!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Nick, I self-banned myself from there. haha