Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Article about ORD Airport Watch

New Article about ORD Airport Watch

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/04/travel...html?hpt=hp_t3

Good article, and a push at the end to have it spread across the USA.

Antonis
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

That's awesome. Question I have is, can a visitor go and shoot there solo, or must they be accompanied by one of the ORD Airport Watch folks?

Program Coordinator
    Question I have is, can a visitor go and shoot there solo, or must they be accompanied by one of the ORD Airport Watch folks?
    I visit ORD once or twice a year while visit family and usually spend an afternoon spotting. I've never had a problem in a few locations - all public spots like sidewalks or private businesses that are spotter friendly/tolerant, but from what I remember the O'Hare guys can also park along fences that otherwise say "no parking / no stopping" and pretty much go wherever they want. My understanding, though I haven't been back in almost a year, is that the one or two spots that have been used consistently by spotters over the years are largely left alone...and everything else is pretty heavily enforced.

Your sentiment though is a long term concern of mine about the watch programs. I've never been fully on board with having to register with a police department to do something that was already perfectly legal to begin with. And I worry that some cities may unnecessarily hassle visitors who aren't in that cities program or locals who choose not to join -- or worse consider spotting/photography something that's only a legal activity if you've registered with the program. That the article used the term "para police" to describe spotters was troubling.

So while spotting they must carry id and wear their vests at all times ??? They undergo background checks have to wear stupid looking vests to take pictures from a PUBLIC area ? That's insane and beyond stupid. I can't see the PA doing this.

What information can you possibly garner from taking pictures of aircraft ? A real terrorist would take pics of critical infrastructure like fuel farms and those things are already visible on Google Earth for anyone to view. The people who run the PAPD are fairly intelligent individuals who you would think would know this by now.....
    Last edited by alberchico; 2013-06-04 at 09:27 PM.
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

'Para police'? How long before some yahoo takes the law into their own hands

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    'Para police'? How long before some yahoo takes the law into their own hands
    PANTS UP, DON'T LOOT!

Ah, thank you- one of Cartman's finest moments

But nothing tops this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k64w3354kE

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    This program has a lot of merit and will hopefully spread. I think the ID lanyards are a great idea. As for the orange vests...? The only way you would catch me wearing one of those is if they gave me ramp access, which you know aint gonna happen.
    Last edited by Aviation.High.Guy; 2013-06-07 at 04:46 PM.
    -Don B.

I guess it's good for the spotters up there, if they want to pay for a background check for a badge to do something that's perfectly legal, that's their decision. After all it is Chicago where they bulldozed a runway in the middle of the night, good ol Chi-town politics!

SAT has had a volunteer program for years http://aviation.sanantonio.gov/Aviat..._volunteer.asp
    The idea is to recruit and train community volunteers to support current law enforcement and security personnel and place them in positions where they could be extra eyes and ears for the Airport Police. Some of the V.A.P. volunteer duties will consist of recognizing and reporting security violations, suspicious activity, assist with traffic control, patrol the parking areas, terminals and perimeter, issue parking violations, assist in special projects and unusual occurrences, and administrative support
    Unfortunately, aircraft spotting IS still considered suspicious here.

I'd like to ask a ORD watch member, which is more of a potential threat to the airport?
    A. Father and son watching planes

B. A vehicle driving by the terminal with Islamic writing on it

The correct answer is 'B'
    PANTS UP, DON'T LOOT!

Especially when above the Arabic writing "B-52" is written

Nice article, hopefully this sets other wheels in motion, althought the wheels might not be turning as fast as we'd like.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Some very nice exposure for planespotting in that article. As for the airport watch program, at its root I think its a great idea though I have a few issues with how they have implemented it in Chicago. My gripes with that particular program aside, any time that law enforcement and planespotters can work as partners instead of adversaries, it is a benefit to both groups.

And I don't believe for a second that the guy in the 4th picture was using his scanner to "...help spotters monitor emergency responders' radio traffic."
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

I'm a member of ORD watch and while some may say the program has no merit, in actuality it does. Many times we have seen attempted car theft, etc. and reported it. We also report if we see something potentially dangerous on the airfield so that it can be dealt with. If you are not a member, you can forget about spotting at ORD. Besides USG (28R arrivals), all the other spots at ORD, such as Scanwell Logistics (14R arrivals/32L departures), the Police station (22R arrivals/4L departures), and beeline (10L arrivals) are pretty much off limits. So it is in your best interest to join if you plan on spotting there.

Quote Originally Posted by mldoc View Post
    And I don't believe for a second that the guy in the 4th picture was using his scanner to "...help spotters monitor emergency responders' radio traffic."
    Yeah I think that's just some kind of a misunderstanding.

deltaA330, are you serious? If you don't belong to this and you try to spot there they come along and just shut you down? That's crazy. I don't know what's worse, no program @ JFK or mandatory membership in ORD's program. I'm sure you folks have been very helpful with the crime supression aspect of this, it's just that...I do the same thing without a vest. Haven't seen anything suspicious enough to report myself though- trying not to turn into Mr. Foyt here(Cannonball Run)

Ya unfortunately its join or dont spot. Before this program, ORD was a notoriously hard airport to spot. At least there is an option now. Ironically, one of the things we are supposed to report are non-watch members spotting. So just join- its 20 bucks for the background check and then you can spot all you want.