Thread: Lusting After a Lens

Lusting After a Lens

I am currently shooting with Canon 50D (15MP, 1.6x crop) and Canon 5DMkII (21MP, full frame). My spotting lens is the Canon 100-400 f/4-5.6L IS USM.

Sigma has recently updated their 120-300mm f/2.8 and it looks just spectacular. However, it costs $3,600, and I'm concerned about losing the extra reach at the long end (I would sell or trade in my 100-400 to make up some of the cost).

Would I be at a total loss at JFK without the 300-400 range? Remember that, on my 50D, the Sigma would be a 192-480mm "equivalent" (Manny, I won't get you started on that discussion...haha). I know I'd be fine at the mounds, at Panera, and at "the spot we don't mention where security is annoying". But would Bayswater and HoBe leave me begging for extra reach?

Any other thoughts?

Anybody have experience with this lens?

Thanks,

Antonis (I'm going to stop signing my posts "TIS" since you all know me by now...)
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

I know I would be hurting with just 300mm at HoBe. With the exception of A340's, 747's, A380's, and 777's, I make use of every last bit of my 150-500mm there. I don't like to crop my images any more than I have to. Bayswater is a different story- you should be fine with 4R arrivals and most 13R departures, as well as most 31L arrivals

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I think that it could be a great choice. Being that its an f2.8 lens, you could add teleconverters to your collection later to extend your reach when you need it. With a 2x teleconverter, you'd have a 240-600mm f5.6. At HoBe, that could be awesome.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

I'm also trying to get my hands on that lens. I may be going after a previous version though. the new one is a bit out of my reach.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Program Coordinator
    2.8 always a good call...makes it super versatile for low light never mind non aviation stuff. That being said my spotting outing declined quickly after I sold my 100-400. Need a 300+ out here. Miss the reach, though not the lens, all the time. If you're willing to spend 3600 I'd recommend considering looking at used Canon 300 2.8 I primes. I lust after that lens constantly.

I was going to mention a 1.4x converter for the Sigma 120-300mm. With the 2x converter the IQ won't be as good us you'll loose two f-stops. Using that combo on a crop sensor would be plenty good for Hobe and Bayswater.
    Last edited by Zee71; 2013-06-04 at 09:06 PM.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by mldoc View Post
    I think that it could be a great choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerslice View Post
    2.8 always a good call...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    Using that combo on a crop sensor would be plenty good for Hobe and Bayswater.
    Do you guys want to chip in and pay 1K each? I can cover the rest.

Antonis
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Program Coordinator
    Absolutely can. Check is in the mail.
    note that it's post dated to June 7, 2090