Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: NetJets Photography Policy?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Chris102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    593

    NetJets Photography Policy?

    Has anyone ever heard of NetJets having a no-photography corporate policy?

    I've shot tons of their aircraft in the past without any problems, but when I attempted to get a Global 5000 recently, the pilot told me that they have a corporate policy prohibiting any photography of their aircraft. I didn't challenge him on this of course, but I'm wondering if there is such a policy in place. I'm also wondering if this had something to do with it being a Signature Series aircraft.

    Anyone here in-the-know about NetJets' policies?

  2. #2
    Senior Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    224
    OOPS!

    I had heard that from a netjet pilot back in 08 when I had ramp access.
    PANTS UP, DON'T LOOT!

  3. #3
    Senior Member megatop412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia(south Jersey, actually)
    Posts
    3,278
    I don't see how that is even remotely legal.

  4. #4

    Netjets

    If you ask thats going to be the obvious reply one would suggest.....You could not ask but then you might get into trouble for example if you're airside.
    As always discretion rules ok

  5. #5
    Program Coordinator
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,077
    It wouldn't be surprising, though I haven't heard it specifically about NetJets. An FBO at BFI has been notorious for lobbying the city to close down a once popular spotting location at the field because it had a direct view of their ramp and they wanted to protect their clients and their clients passengers. The spot was ultimately converted into GA parking, though it's unclear how much of a role the FBO played in the decision.

  6. #6
    Senior Member lijk604's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    4 air miles SE of ISP.
    Posts
    4,143
    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    OOPS!
    Oops is right RWB!




  7. #7
    Senior Member Zee71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    4,349
    Nice shots John! If there are passengers which may be VIP in nature I would probably not shoot. Wait till the bird is locked up.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

    My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

  8. #8
    Senior Member RWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    If there are passengers which may be VIP in nature I would probably not shoot. Wait till the bird is locked up.
    Bwahhhhh, Just go for it!
    PANTS UP, DON'T LOOT!

  9. #9
    Senior Member megatop412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia(south Jersey, actually)
    Posts
    3,278
    I don't care who their clients are or how much the FBO's receive from them. Once you step outside you are not entitled to expect to not be photographed. What an outlandish, and elitist, assumption. They aren't in their homes, they're out in public. Nobody's closing down the sidewalks so the paparazzi can't photograph 'J-Lo'.

    I wouldn't go out of my way to photograph anyone in particular, but I wouldn't not take a shot I wanted just cause there was a person in it. They can go screw

  10. #10
    Senior Member NickPeterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA/Roanoke, TX
    Posts
    654
    The only place I could see where they would have sway is on airport grounds. If you are on private airport property, they can probably get away with it. The other thing is this, I know many airport spotting groups request that you honor such requests as it keeps the blood from going bad between spotters, the operators, and the airports. Is that shot of a biz jet or its passengers really worth not being allowed to shoot at that airport going forward?

    That, of course, is up to the individual.

  11. #11
    though I agree from the legal standpoint, and wouldn't actively push any spotters away who aren't breaking any rules, I can understand why high-profile or high-wealth people are very cautious. I fly a number of incredibly powerful people and their families, and the last thing I want is for the wrong people to be tracking them for the wrong reasons. I can see both sides of the fence here, but I definitely lean on the spotters' side when clearly in the right for shooting from public spots. Obviously spotters' intentions are to capture the airplanes. The FBO's interest is in protecting the privacy of the airplane owners. Security and privacy is a huge matter to their clients, and the business is invaluable. To that degree, I can appreciate their desire to maintain that privacy.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

  12. #12
    Senior Member megatop412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia(south Jersey, actually)
    Posts
    3,278
    Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory View Post
    though I agree from the legal standpoint, and wouldn't actively push any spotters away who aren't breaking any rules, I can understand why high-profile or high-wealth people are very cautious. I fly a number of incredibly powerful people and their families, and the last thing I want is for the wrong people to be tracking them for the wrong reasons. I can see both sides of the fence here, but I definitely lean on the spotters' side when clearly in the right for shooting from public spots. Obviously spotters' intentions are to capture the airplanes. The FBO's interest is in protecting the privacy of the airplane owners. Security and privacy is a huge matter to their clients, and the business is invaluable. To that degree, I can appreciate their desire to maintain that privacy.
    I totally, 100% agree with that reasoning. As a plane photographer, I try to keep people out of my scenes anyway, because they just muck up my shots!

    I just think that once you aquire power, you agree to surrender the requisite amount of anonymity. That, as you mentioned, does open one up to attention from nasty people. What a great world we live in!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    I totally, 100% agree with that reasoning. As a plane photographer, I try to keep people out of my scenes anyway, because they just muck up my shots!

    I just think that once you aquire power, you agree to surrender the requisite amount of anonymity. That, as you mentioned, does open one up to attention from nasty people. What a great world we live in!
    It does.....some of the planes I fly are blocked on Flightaware. Apparently the site pings your IP address and associated email (if you're a registered member) back to the managing party of that particular tail number account. Not a bad place to start looking in case someone ends up going missing.

    But again, I'm an aviation enthusiast at heart and though I understand both sides, will continue to pursuit both! Happy shooting!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

  14. #14
    Senior Member MarkLawrence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    1 Miles NNW of NOVAE - KFLL - Davie, FL
    Posts
    3,921
    I wonder what that pilot would do if I was standing at the end of the taxiway at FLL taking shots and he comes past - is he going to stop the plane, come over and ask me to delete the pictures??? :) :)
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

    Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    http://amateuravphoto.blogspot.com

  15. #15
    of course...and he'd have to site various 9/11 statutes and non-existent photography laws. And then give you a business card asking you to send some copies!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •