Thread: DCA - National Airport 5/19/2013

DCA - National Airport 5/19/2013

After getting a little sleep today, I headed out for something to do, and ended up at Gravelly Point Park, next to DCA for a while this afternoon. They were landing Rwy 19, so the approach was directly over the park.

At one point, movements stopped, and off in the distance I saw that familiar three-ship formation of white-topped Marine helicopters. Unfortunately, the long lens was in the car (100-400mm is overkill at Gravelly Point) so again I didn't get very good shots of them...

A Washington Metro Police boat pulled in the channel between the park and the airport, heading over to the boat ramp. There were a couple of kids in the front of the boat, and they were towing a small, capsized boat. They were followed by a DC FD River Rescue boat. Police and FD rescue units showed up to meet them. Looks like the PD and FD pulled the kids out of the river. Based on the lack of urgency, I assume they were fine.

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Nice set! Love the Piedmont. Looks like you had nicer weather than we did up here today.
    -Don B.

Gotta love Gravelly Point Park Great shots Moose !!
    BTW, did you run into Walt from the Washington-Baltimore Spotters Group there ?

Very nice Moose! How did you get so high in that shot with the 757 landing? I remember trying a shot like that there a few years ago but I don't remember the park having the elevation for it, maybe there was a large mound of earth that I missed

Excellent report from one of the best spotting location in the country. Visited last year and had awesome time.

IIRC there is a bit of a ditch and I think he was there. I've done some video from that same spot and nearly lost my footing a few times.

The bike/walking path (paved) runs along the edge of the park under the approach path - I was standing next to it when I took the shot of the 757 with the people in the foreground. This is a wide view looking at the airport - that's the edge of the paved path at the bottom of the picture, and there is 2-3 feet of grass before you go down a small hill to the fence and the equipment you see. For the 757 shot, I was offset a little to the right, just enough to clear the higher landing light structure. For the RJ, I shot through the structure.

Awesome Moose! A great spotting location. Nice shot of the white top as well.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Great shots Moose. What an awesome location
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY