Thread: Canon (finally) announces 200-400 f/4L IS USM 1.4

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States

Canon (finally) announces 200-400 f/4L IS USM 1.4

It's available now for preorder from B&H for the low low price of only $11,799! Plus there is an optional hard case for $649. So who is gonna be the first here to get one?
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Hmm... This is where the hobby of photography stops for me. Got a master's degree to pay for!

They just couldn't issue an upgraded 100-400? Aside from Cary, who will own one?

For that price tag, not me ! I will stick to my 100-400
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Wow, that is significantly more expensive than the Nikon version. I'm sure it's an incredible lens

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    From what I've been reading this morning, the target market is professional sports and wildlife photographers who shoot with a range of long primes. However, I'm sure its just a matter of a short amount of time before a spotter at least rents one.

Supposedly the only thing holding back the upgraded 100-400L was that this lens hadn't been released yet. Of course there have been rumors of an upgrade for years abnd it has yet to happen.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by mldoc View Post
    From what I've been reading this morning, the target market is professional sports and wildlife photographers who shoot with a range of long primes. However, I'm sure its just a matter of a short amount of time before a spotter at least rents one.

Supposedly the only thing holding back the upgraded 100-400L was that this lens hadn't been released yet. Of course there have been rumors of an upgrade for years abnd it has yet to happen.
    That's similar to what happened in Nikon land, they refreshed the 200-400 before the 80-400. Hopefully the Canonites won't have to wait 2 years like Nikonians did

My jaw dropped when I saw that price! I am sure it'll be an amazing piece of glass. However, I will stick with my 100-400. I would be better off by getting a 2x converter. I can bump my ISO up to 6,400 and still get a perfectly acceptable photo. I would have to become a drug dealer on the side to pay for that.
    Timothy LaBranche

See my photos on:
    Timothy LaBranche.com
    Flickr
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    They just couldn't issue an upgraded 100-400? Aside from Cary, who will own one?
    Haha...it would be nice, but I'd probably only use it at HoBe, and the atmospheric distortion from the distance would probably kill any gain in image quality, anyway.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mldoc View Post

When you rent one, does it come with a bodyguard?
    -Don B.

Program Coordinator
    However, I'm sure its just a matter of a short amount of time before a spotter at least rents one.
    As soon as our local camera shop gets one (which they say will be shortly) I intend to rent it and take it to the airport in addition to a few sports games :-)