Thread: Landing gear...three gre...oh wait

Landing gear...three gre...oh wait

Though I really can't imagine that being an oversight. I'm not an expert on the DC/MD-10, but I would imagine that it would have some sort of configuration warning.

"What's that beeping noise?"

Quote Originally Posted by heeshung View Post
    Though I really can't imagine that being an oversight. I'm not an expert on the DC/MD-10, but I would imagine that it would have some sort of configuration warning.
    It does. The gear horn will come on, and cannot be silenced if the gear is not down and the flaps are extended beyond the approach flaps position (greater than 25*). It's an extremely annoying horn (purposefully designed to be so). The only way to silence the horn is by pulling a CB (not procedure and dumb unless dealing with an abnormal situation) or by putting the gear down (and getting a down and locked indication on all 3 or 4 gear (depending on the DC-10 variant). Appears as if flaps/slats are moved into the landing range just prior to gear extension in this video.

I've seen that video before and always wondered why they did that.

I've also seen this video, and have read previously that this is normal for a DC/MD-10 as a low-drag approach. They are able to maintain a higher speed on approach with less engine power, and use the gear drop at the last moment to slow down. Never seen that at JFK, however.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    I've also seen this video, and have read previously that this is normal for a DC/MD-10 as a low-drag approach. They are able to maintain a higher speed on approach with less engine power, and use the gear drop at the last moment to slow down. Never seen that at JFK, however.
    Entirely not true...
    Last edited by USAF Pilot 07; 2013-05-09 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07 View Post
    Entirely not true...
    That's the explanation I've heard attached to that video, but seems...odd.
    Follow me on Twitter and friend me on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    That's the explanation I've heard attached to that video, but seems...odd.
    Yea it's not a correct explanation. Nowhere is there a procedure to fly a 22*/EXT approach to inside 500' AGL and then configure in the final approach configuration and stabilize on short final. The fuel saved doing this is fairly negligible especially when compared with the risk assumed by such a maneuver.

My guess is FedEx SOPs require the aircraft to be stabilized in the final approach configuration (either 35*/EXT or 50*/EXT) and within target airspeed, descent rate and bank angle by 500' AGL (maybe 1000' AGL if IMC).

I saw this video a few months ago on a different site. Word is management at FedEx saw it as well and these pilots were either suspended or fired. Probably just a mistake that would have gone without further incident had someone not caught it on video and then posted it all over the Internet...

That gear certainly does not come out slowly...

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Hey, some guys like living life on the edge. Guess they figured they could always go around if they didn't get the green down and locked.
    -Don B.