Thread: Airlines vs Passengers: 5 Recent Incidents That Have Resulted In Lawsuits!

Airlines vs Passengers: 5 Recent Incidents That Have Resulted In Lawsuits!

I thought you guys might like this post! Over the past month, I’ve been reading a lot of stories in the media about airlines being sued by their passengers. Some of the stories are pretty understandable, while others left me scratching my head!

I thought it would be interesting to look at five recent examples, which I've listed below. Click here to read more about each example:

http://www.theaviationwriter.com/201...assengers.html

1) Passenger Sues Virgin America Over Soda Spat

2) Qantas Sued By Aboriginal Passengers

3) US Airways Sued By First-Class Passengers

4) Air Canada Sued By French-Speaking Couple

5) Southwest Airlines Sued By Overweight Man[/INDENT]

I always make sure to remind myself, as I hope others do, that because I wasn't there to DIRECTLY observe the event being reported, there is no reason for me to spout off about how 'the passenger was totally right' or 'the airline did what it had to do'. People will stretch the hell out of the actual events to suit their needs regardless of what side they're on, and you'll never know who's telling the truth unless there are witnesses. That Virgin America incident is a perfect example, and I hope witnesses step forward to support one side or the other. This incident was also written about on another aviation site, and as usual several people chimed in with 'this is typical American behavior' is just disgusting, as if we are all a bunch of entitled morons. As if no one from any other country acts like a selfish, immature schmuck. I should like to respond over there, but I have a hard time justifying paying money(I only have a photographer account over there) to say something that people won't listen to anyway. One reason why I don't try harder to get my work accepted there.

Now that that rant is over, I do wonder though, with the US example, what they mean by an 'industry-wide policy for non-reveal paying passengers'. How would that resolve the claim that some were allowed to wear hoodies in 1st class while others weren't? It didn't seem like it was a behavior issue that we weren't being told about.

A great response and I totally agree with your thinking. There's always two sides to a story.

In terms of your second point, I believe that if you're a full paying passenger, no dress codes apply. However, if you're travelling on staff rates, then you are expected to dress a certain way in the premium cabins.