Thread: 5/1/13 - JFK Positive Experience

Talking 5/1/13 - JFK Positive Experience

Admittedly I was on the airport premises, but in a public area that I will leave nameless to protect the person who works there who said he didn't care if I shot some photos. A PAPD cop in a truck drove up in front of my car, and the officer walked over to my car. Apparently someone on a rooftop of one of the buildings thought my photography was suspicious (I was having dinner while taking photos, so after I took the photos I'd get back into my car to nosh) so he was coming by just to see what was going on. I offered him some fries and offered to show him my photos and that while I was generally aiming over the top of a building I was specifically not shooting anything but the inbound aircraft. He was a little skeptical that I could get a decent photo (it was heat hazy so honestly he had a point), but I quickly scrolled through a handful of photos to show him I was being truthful with him. He said "Cool, pal. Enjoy while it's still light." And went on his way. He was courteous, I was courteous, I got a few (very few) decent photos. Everyone goes home happy.

Give that officer a cee-gar!!! Well played

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Give that officer a cee-gar!!! Well played
    Night and day between the real law enforcement professionals investigating and then exercising discretion and the garage patrolling (emphasis on "troll") rent a cops. I was pleased to see the courtesy first approach work out so well.

Jamaica, New York, United States, 111046035586548, Jamaica, New York
    But what's the big deal about photograph of aircraft on the ground or the terminal/runway environment? Is there in fact a policy against that, or is that conjecture? Glad your experience was a good one. Ill remember to bring fries next time. Good tip!

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Ya gotta love them "feel good" spotting stories!
    -Don B.

Funny I was at Bayswater and about 3pm, 3 NYPD officers showed up while I was shooting they were looking for someone and they didnt question me about what I was doing which I thought was odd and left within 4 minutes.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

I have a question, Before bayswater "officialy closed in 2010, were there like park rangers and food carts or is it like what it is now??
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

You would occasionally see a parks department worker (more likely groundskeepers, not rangers) at Bayswater. Although it never happened to me, some folks were told that they could not take photos, and that police would be called, but I don't recall any follow through on those threats. There were never food carts or other amenities at the park - the only food was what you might talk an fisherman out of...

I recall a couple of years ago there was a groundskeeper who stated photo's weren't allowed. So I educated him, but telling him he was wrong, and the parks department website stated that photography was okay and you didn't need a permit unless you were shooting for commercial work. After I stated that he said okay. For time to time I do see the groundskeeper guy at Bayswater and we always strike up a conversation, and photography is never an issue with him.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by Delta777LR View Post
    Funny I was at Bayswater and about 3pm, 3 NYPD officers showed up while I was shooting they were looking for someone and they didnt question me about what I was doing which I thought was odd and left within 4 minutes.
    Probably didnt fit the description of the perp and you werent shooting with a gun!! Not sure how that neighborhood has changed, havent been there in awhile but some of its resident dont use cameras to shoot despite
    what Bloomberg wants!!