Thread: 13L jfk locations

13L jfk locations

Can somebody tell me some spotting locations with pictures for 13L... Thanks
    Jared
    Probably the youngest spotter ever to walk up the face of the mounds.
    Jared B. -Boces Aviation Ops Student, Jericho NY

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Jared, take a look at the spotting guide for JFK. Pay particular attention to points D (Bayswater State Park) and G (Inwood Park) for 31L Arrivals. All three pictures for Inwood Park in the guide are for 31L, however none of the pictures for Bayswater are for 31L. I have a shot of a 31L arrival from Bayswater at home, I'll try to post it later.

Edit: Oh never mind!
    Last edited by Landing Lights; 2013-04-23 at 07:12 AM.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Neither Bayswater nor Inwood Parks will get you 13L arrivals or departures...

Hey ben, thanks...
    I think you may have misread my post, i'm talking about 13L for the canarsie visual aprroach, don't worry they are the same numbers switched if you have any of those that would be much help :)

Jared, I doubt you will get an answer on 13L spotting locations. Think of it this way: if it's not on the NYCA guide, then you probably shouldn't go.

Use Google earth or Bing any airport and weigh in all your options in relation to runway. If there is an airport with runway there is spotting location to go with it.

Jared.....there are a few public parks that I know of that are along the approach path for 13L, one is a soccer field on the North Conduit (not far from Lefferts Blvd) which I haven't shot from as of yet. There is also a public park (baseball field) right on Cross Bay Blvd and North Conduit. I like this baseball field during the late summer afternoon hours. You can get some nice bank shots. Here are a few sample shots from the ball field. As always.........carry your ID and a smile!

Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Thanks Mark, I'm pretty familiar with the spotter do's and don'ts when it comes to PANYNJ airports. Never stay more than .000003 seconds out in the open with your camera on airport grounds :P
    All spotters including myself must remind ourselves that no matter how amazing a shot could be (unless it's the Concorde, thats a different story), you must remember that you are representing our community as spotters as a whole. For example, lets say one spotter has an unfortunate altercation with a shopper at COSTCO, that person is not going to remember that individual spotter, the next time they see any of us out there, they are just going to remember the altercation he/she had with a spotter one day and pin a label to all of us...Thats why you should always think, "Am i going to do anything that can jeopardize a particular spot or lower the tolerance for our community as a whole.?"
    Also, I saw phil mention something about a draft in the PANYNJ's legal department about spotting, can somebody tell me what is going on with it?!

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Blech View Post
    Hey ben, thanks...
    I think you may have misread my post
    Yep, I totally did in my hunger induced dyslexic stupor!
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Another famous spotter and I have shot from this location somewhat successfully... albeit noisy and fairly busy. You will not be looked at much as cars are going 100MPH here. Sometimes you get lucky with a far away turn, sometimes they're over your head.

Created by Airliners.net BBCode Generator
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2013-04-23 at 09:13 AM.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    I hear Mark's back yard is an excellent spot. It should be added to the NYCA guide ;)
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Manny that is a great catch of the Ryan there. I read 'Dynamic' and was wondering where I heard that callsign before.

And I would imagine being able to get better shots of larger aircraft at that spot given the need for a wider turn? Maybe that doesn't matter, given some of the pretty good 747 right turns you see sometimes

I certainly have a bunch "in the can" that have no yet seen the light of day that look pretty good from there. Yes, some bank nicely... once I had China Eastern A346 right over my head and wondered when he was planning to turn sharp right not much room left between this point and the end of 13L ... but, it being a visual approach, I guess as long as the pax don't mind the G-forces it's all good

Ever seen an ILS 13L approach? I did one morning, heavy heavy downpour... funny to see them coming from the direction of the city.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Ever seen an ILS 13L approach? I did one morning, heavy heavy downpour... funny to see them coming from the direction of the city.
    I didn't even know there was such a thing. Glad you told me about it before I witnessed it and thought something was wayyy off

Speaking of banking shots...

This was taken from the location I sent you, Jared