Thread: KAFW: 4/12-13/2013- NASCAR Weekend

KAFW: 4/12-13/2013- NASCAR Weekend

Hello All,

It has been a while since I was able to pick up the camera and get out for some spotting (dang college!), but I snuck back up to Dallas for NASCAR weekend on Friday morning. It was well worth my 25$ and 8 hours in an uncomfortable bus. My local airport, Fort Worth Alliance, has the unique benefit of being a fairly large, mostly unused airport, located no more than a mile or two from the motor speedway, and linked by a fairly large road-in essence, it is perfect for the race teams to fly in and out of during the week.

For 3 years I have hunted some of the many aircraft used by the teams to shuffle people and material between North Carolina and the races, and have always missed out, Whether at KRIC and KAFW in years past, due to night flights, schedule changes, or weather. However, I was determined to camp at Alliance if need be, and it paid off!

Friday night was quiet, minus the Antonov who decided to land 5 minutes after a cloud completely killed the nice golden light.

Saturday morning got started with some small biz jets (and some harsh light, sadly)

Then, my first race traffic, this Challenger of Stewart-Haas Racing

This Miami 738, and 2 of her sisters, ran a number of flights between AFW and Concorde, NC this past weekend

Next up came my first Saab 2000 in flight, belonging to Hendrick Motorsports

Followed closely by Earnhardt Racing's beautiful Embraer

And, lastly and most importantly, I did finally catch my Roush-Fenway 727-200! My first 727 in a pax configuration, and a 40-year old veteran of Braniff and American Airlines fame.

Hope you enjoyed!

Nick

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Great set! That 727 is awesome
    -Don B.

Thanks Don! That 727 was a dream come true for me. I have always loved the 727, but have never really had much opportunity to photograph or experience it first hand. Aside from first class on an AA 727 when I was 4 or 5, this was my first encounter with a non-freight 727 (and even then I only have seen 2 of those).

Thanks Doug

Great stuff Nick!! Glad you were finally able to get that elusive 727.

After seeing these birds, I think I may have to go camp at MHT in a few months when the NASCAR gang comes to New Hampshire.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Very nice set Nick, drooling over the SAAB and the 727!

Nick ..... Wow .... Awesome catch on the 727 as well as the Antonov. Definitely worth the $25 trip
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Thanks guys!

Steve, do go out, it was certainly a good time.

And mark, I do agree, 25$ for my first good shot of a 727 was well worth it.