Thread: KRDU - 3/30/2013: Raleigh-Durham International Airport

KRDU - 3/30/2013: Raleigh-Durham International Airport

With beautiful weather forecast, and wanting a change from the endless string of US Airways jets at CLT, I took a ride up to Raleigh-Durham on Saturday. RDU has two main runways, 5/23 L/R with the terminal area situated between them. Just past the terminal area is an observation deck, facing 5L/23R. It's a nice deck, with a covered area, live ATC broadcasting, rest rooms, a picnic area, and playground for the kids. And there were kids...

It's about a 2 hour drive, and I got out there about 11:30am, and the first jets I see are US Express, AA MD, American Eagle, Delta DC-9...all the stuff I see in CLT.

A view of the observation deck. Runways 23 L/R were active, and from the deck you are facing 23R, with arrivals coming from your right. What you don't see is the large building that NC DOT's Aviation Department built directly in line with the touchdown zone of 23R. You see the planes on short final (and at 400mm, you are still cropping, and dealing with heat haze) then they disappear behind the building, only to reappear directly in front of you, already on the ground. Not great, but how you deal with adversity is a sign of the kind of photographer you are.

A friendly wave to the crowd from this AE first officer.

Most of the Southwest traffic went to the other runway, as they use the terminal on that side, but we got a few on the right.

"Behind" the observation deck is the General Aviation Terminal, facing 5L/23R. They have a second-floor, outdoor deck overlooking the ramp. The nice lady at the front desk explained it is a public building, owned and operated by the airport (the FBOs are tenants) and is open to anyone who wants to hang out to watch and photograph the aircraft - and she said they do have a "regular" crowd.

Embraer Legacy 650, G-SUGA, owned by Lord Alan Sugar, who founded the British consumer electronics company Amstrad. He stars on the BBC version of The Apprentice and is said to have a net worth of about $1.1 billion.

N788CG, Falcon 900EX owned by the Corning Glass company.

N786TW, MD-83 operated by Ameristar Jet Charters.

Much like the daily LH flight at CLT, the highlight of the day at RDU is the daily AA 763 from LHR. Not sure what happened, but about 2 miles out on final, they went around.

It's a bit too far to make RDU a regular hangout, but it's close enough for a little change of pace now and then.

Great review Moose, nice to see that other airports appreciate and accept the fact that people want to watch airplanes.

Granted, not as exciting as JFK, LAX, etc... but still nice to do once in a while.

Thanks,

AJ
    Pull back and the houses get smaller!

Embraer Legacy 650, G-SUGA, owned by Lord Alan Sugar, who founded the British consumer electronics company Amstrad. He stars on the BBC version of The Apprentice and is said to have a net worth of about $1.1 billion.
    All that money and he buys a Legacy??? C'mon man, get yourself a G550, or, if you want to represent the home continent, a Falcon 7X.

Nice coverage Moose. Wouldn't it be great if we could hang out on top of some of the buildings at our local airfields around here?

Great coverage Moose - always wondered about RDU with it's one international flight a day - it used to be a 772 a few years ago someone told me - and if I remember it is because of one or two large industrial companies in the area...interesting to the Sir Alan Sugar's jet there too!!!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Great stuff Moose. The Falcon 900 is gorgeous!
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Nice environment, with some interesting GA traffic