Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brand Camera Do You Use

What brand Camera Do You Use

I went to B & H today to upgrade my camera and after holding almost every camera in my hand I just didn't like the feel of any so I walked out with nothing. I currently shoot with a Sony a300 but I want a camera that also has video. Just curious what everyone else likes. I did hold a Canon rebel that was almost ok. My problem is my thumb wants to hit the buttons near the top of the camera.

Program Coordinator
    Canon 7D and 5Dii

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    My old and trusty Nikons. D200 and D100 both of which still take amazing images.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Nikon D7000 and D700 both with battery grips.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Canon 5DII and 60D
    -Don B.

I use the Canon EOS Rebel T3i

Your thumb is supposed to hit those buttons... You want your fingers to be able to touch all the buttons :-) that's the idea!

This question can only be answered by you of course. You will get a ton of opinions as to what people love. The ergonomics of the Nikon camera bodies suits me best and Canon least ... You may prefer a bridge camera...

...and ALL cameras have video now...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

The only camera that was close for me for the feel was the Canon rebel t3i. It was close but not really so I didn't pull the trigger.

Manny my thumb would hit the AE button every time I snapped a pic. Not exactly what we want to happen. Guess I will just wait and see what comes out.

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    I have the T3i, Vinny, and I like it for the most part. I'll start this by saying that I have pretty big hands. As long as I kept my thumb on the rubberized area between the D-pad and the viewfinder, things seemed OK. The AE Lock button is close to your thumb and it is easy to hit it at times, but the button to unlock is right next to it and almost as easy to hit. There is a * that appears in the viewfinder when you hit the button so it is pretty hard to miss the fact that it is on. I found I was only hitting it when I was lifting up the camera. I was shooting RAW+JPEG yesterday, so the buffer will only hold 3 shots at a time which is one of the few things that I'm not crazy about with that body. However that while I waited for the buffer to write to the card I had enough time to turn off the AE Lock if I hadn't already.

When I was choosing a body, I personally liked the feel of the 60D a bit better. The grip filled my hand better than the T3i does. However finances being what they were at the time, the T3i was my best choice. The 60D looks to have a bit more room in that area than the T3i. From the pictures on Canon's website, the T4i/T5i (they are practically the same camera, at least on paper) looks to be between the T3i and 60D in that particular area.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

Tastes can change over time as well. When I first started I loved the way the small D40 and D40x fit my hand. Then I bought a used D70s, then a D90. Once I bought a grip for the D90 it was like shooting a whole different type of camera. Most recently I picked up a D700, and once I put a grip on that, that combination fits 'perfectly'. And my thumb never hits anything I don't want it to.

I have a 7d and a 40D
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Vinny, try the pro bodies... you will likely NEVER want another camera.. I even find the 1D series comfortable, and that's stretching it a bit. I really really dislike the index wheel on Canon bodies and much prefer the position of the same wheel on Nikon bodies.

Anyway, the pro bodies are such a huge difference in ergonomics, it is just not even fair comparison. Yes they cost more but what's more important to you? If price is the object, then maybe a finger in the wrong button once in a while will suffice. If not, then keep looking and do not look at the price tags.

Finally, remember the brain is a wonderful malleable tool. It will eventually adapt and you may find the thumb stays away from that said AE button after a few weeks of training
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

As William (Megatop) stated ..... having additonal grip on a body makes a pretty big difference (pretty close to a pro body that Manny describes). When you hit B&H again, try some of the bodies with and without a grip and you'll see the difference. Having the grip and the extra battery really helps.

My next body, may be a pro body (so, back to saving my nickels, diimes and quarters).
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    D300 primary body, D3200 backup. Since the D7000 has come down in price I am eyeing one as well!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

TY Manny

I will try the pro bodies next time I am there. While cost is always an issue the problem that I will have is also changing my lenses too. That will hurt but it will be a one time thing. If there is nothing I like I will just wait for the next Sony to come out and see if I like it.