Thread: KATL Spotting info

Cool KATL Spotting info

Hello...

I will be going down to ATL in two weeks. can someone please fill me in on some good spotting locations there? I
    will be staying in College Park.

Thank you,

Here's a bit to get you started:

Point A: Renaissance Concourse Hotel
    Directions: From downtown Atlanta, take I-85 south until exit 73 for Virginia Avenue. Make a left on Virginia Avenue, and then a quick right onto Toffie Terrace. Hotel will be on the right.
    Security: You will have to purchase a room for the night, and spotting is encouraged. They even have a "Plane Spotting Package" for a small fee.
    Photography: For planes that sit across the street from the hotel (parked and not moving), 100-180mm should get the job done, and longer lenses can give you a close up on the nose. For landings, you'll need about 200-300mm, especially for the CRJs. For takeoffs, 250-400mm will cover you here.
    Notes: Very nice hotel, and I had a great time there. Each room has its own balcony as well. Make sure to request an airport facing room.

Point B: South Parking Garage
    Directions: From downtown Atlanta, take I-85 south until exit 72 for Camp Creek Parkway and Atlanta Airport. Make a slight right at S Terminal parking, and follow signs to the south parking garage.
    Security: You will have to obtain permission from ATL's landside operations department.
    Photography: 50-100mm should be more than enough for taxis and 100-250mm for departures and arrivals on the 9s. If 27s are in use, you will get a "blue sky" shot at takeoffs, and may need 200-300mm.
    Notes: There is a small fee for parking in the garage.

Point C: Sewage Treatment Plant
    Directions: From downtown Atlanta, take I-85 south until exit 238B for I-285W/ATL Airport. Keep right at the fork, and follow signs for Clark Howell Hwy/Loop Road. Keep right at the fork, and continue to merge onto Airport Loop Road. Continue to Lake Mirror Road.
    Security: This is not public property, so carry your ID and if asked to leave, do so.
    Photography: Good shots of 27L arrivals. For full framed shots, you'll want about 220+mm of zoom.
    Notes: Make sure planes are landing 27s.

OR

Try this:
    http://flightlineaviationmedia.com/p...s/airport-atl/
    Adam Sheinhaus