Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSA's latest brainstorm

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

TSA's latest brainstorm

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ves-on-planes/

I agree with the FA's union. A pocket knife doesn't pose a threat? The WTC was taken out with boxcutters for Pete's sake.

I try to defend to TSA because they have an impossible job but this is just plain dumb.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Using knives to hijack a plane stopped being a viable method before the south tower even fell. The most a bad guy with a knife will be able to do these days is slash a few people before the other passengers over power him.

There are enough other things on the allowed list that can be improvised weapons that allowing small knives and golf clubs is not changing the threat matrix at all.

Quote Originally Posted by clear_prop View Post
    Using knives to hijack a plane stopped being a viable method before the south tower even fell. The most a bad guy with a knife will be able to do these days is slash a few people before the other passengers over power him.

There are enough other things on the allowed list that can be improvised weapons that allowing small knives and golf clubs is not changing the threat matrix at all.
    I couldn't agree more! I watched a demonstration a couple years ago by Federal Air Marshalls. They used seat belt extensions and a walking cane as weapons! They even told us about a person who went through the checkpoint in a wheelchair carrying his cane. Since they don't get normal screening, just a pat down, the agent thought it was suspicious this guy didn't want to let go of his cane. Upon questioning, they realized the cane came apart and had a sword blade inside of it. What the hell do you need a sword for on a plane? Any trained person at making improvised weapons can still cause havoc inside a cabin.
    Timothy LaBranche

See my photos on:
    Timothy LaBranche.com
    Flickr
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by clear_prop View Post
    The most a bad guy with a knife will be able to do these days is slash a few people before the other passengers over power him.
    Sounds good unless you are one of those few people!! And your throat isnt slashed or some other viable organ!! Dont need some yahoo who has too much to drink and the FAs ask him to stop and he gets his liquor
    muscles on along with the blade he has with him!! Enough idiots flying we dont need them armed!!

Program Coordinator
    I think what strikes me most about this policy is that short knives and golf clubs…things that can very obviously be used as weapons…have been allowed back on planes ahead of 4oz of completely harmless toothpaste, or the water in my water bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by jerslice View Post
    I think what strikes me most about this policy is that short knives and golf clubs…things that can very obviously be used as weapons…have been allowed back on planes ahead of 4oz of completely harmless toothpaste, or the water in my water bottle.
    The threat is explosives that can be hidden in that 4 oz container. I can do more damage to you with a can of coke than with a 2.36 inch knife. The mindset is different than 2001. The cockpit doors won't be open. Passengers won't be compliant. The Risk Based Screening method used now is based on the threat of a plane being taken down not taken over.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Don't worry......once the individual with the small pocket knife makes any attempt the individual will get shoed by flying passenger's shoes (next thing you'll know you'll have to check in your shoe's because they may be considered a improvised weapon). TSA just gets dumber and dumber.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Quote Originally Posted by emshighway View Post
    The threat is explosives that can be hidden in that 4 oz container. I can do more damage to you with a can of coke than with a 2.36 inch knife. The mindset is different than 2001. The cockpit doors won't be open. Passengers won't be compliant. The Risk Based Screening method used now is based on the threat of a plane being taken down not taken over.
    Then why aren't guns allowed on aircraft? That's a weapon used to take over a plane, not to take it down.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

A gun can take down a plane, though. A small knife cannot.

However, i'm against this because, regardless of whether or not a knife can take down a plane, it still puts passengers at risk for no reason. Leave the knives out of the equation.

Now I almost want to bring a knife on a plane so that I can even the playing field with any bad guys that may want to do the same.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Exactly Phil, now I actually feel more defenseless against some drunk moron with a pocketknife- as a famous rapper once said in the 1990's, 'I ain't goin out like that'

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Then why aren't guns allowed on aircraft? That's a weapon used to take over a plane, not to take it down.
    Please, if you aren't going to ask a serious question don't bother at all.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I may not agree with the decision but I understand the logic.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    DL CEO not on board.
    Funny, but looking at the photo they ran with the article, I don't think any of those knives would be permitted under the new regulation. He objects to passengers carrying a small pocketknife, but right now people are permitted on his aircraft carrying knitting needles and screwdrivers up to 7" in length, both of which could cause more harm than a small pocketknife.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Funny, but looking at the photo they ran with the article, I don't think any of those knives would be permitted under the new regulation. He objects to passengers carrying a small pocketknife, but right now people are permitted on his aircraft carrying knitting needles and screwdrivers up to 7" in length, both of which could cause more harm than a small pocketknife.
    You are correct, none of those knives in the photo would be permitted.
    Ronald Reagan