Thread: Sony Hi8 Player

Sony Hi8 Player

anybody know where I could get/borrow a Sony Hi8 player or video camera. I need to get some video off some older tapes. it stuff good stuff from about ten years ago.

Thanks.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Does it have to be a Sony? I have a Sharp VL-E40U 8mm camcorder that I recently got all my old stuff off of. Not sure if there's a difference between 8mm and Hi8 but you're welcome to borrow it and try- PM me if interested

Hi8 was higher bandwidth recording on an 8mm tape. 8mm is just the tape and typically, would just be an lower luminance analog recording on it. Not to be confused with Digital8 ;-)

They should be interchangeable but, they could pose a rolling shutter effect or lack of sync on the regular 8 camcorder.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I have the same problem. When Kodacolor film and processing became too expensive, I switched for many years to Hi8 and then to Digital 8 recordings. I have numerous videos of these like the ANA Pokemon 747 taxying around 747 plus many others from the 90's. I was wondering how to transfer these to my PC or whatever you call it. I am not savvy about these things, being from the old-school. Each tape held 2 hours of videos taken inside JFK through large panels. I must have at least 40 tapes. I spent every Sat. for 8 hours at T3 at JFK. Shame I can't view or share. If I could locate my cameras, I have no idea where the AC Adapters are. I thought I was the only 1 who used Sony Hi8.

Manny I knew you would enlighten us with the tech talk end of it! Interesting explanation

Speedbird- I used the Pinnacle transfer box to get all my footage off the player and into mpeg4 format(H.264): http://www.videomaker.com/article/13690- all you need is the converter and a USB drive, the thing converts the footage and puts it on the drive, then you just download the files onto your computer where you can edit them and upload them to the web. I'm sure many here would love to see that footage!

BTW, the Sony cameras have FireWire so as to make it very easy to capture digitally on a PC...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I looked and this Sharp doesn't have Firewire, only A/V out jacks. But it still works, amazing for a 17-year-old piece of electronics. Then again it does say Made in Japan...

Sony makes or made a player, with or without a small monitor. I bought one from Adorama a few years ago. I'll see if I can find it to get you a model number.
    It's the fares, stupid