Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DRONE OVER BROOKLYN?

Wappingers Falls, New York, United States
    Now that there are some additional details available, it seems like this actually did happen and was in fact much more serious than initially reported. It wouldn't surprise me if some moron thought, "hey, let's see how close we can get to the planes!" Especially since most of these quadrotors have built in cameras. However it also wouldn't surprise me if this was mostly just an accident. How possible would it be for one of these devices to lose contact with the controller and just keep moving in the same direction? While I would imagine that most of these are designed to descend when they lose contact, who is to say that here isn't a model out there that missed this crucial idea. It's still pretty stupid to operate near a known low altitude flight path, but stupidity hasn't surprised me for a long time.
    Ben Granucci, Wappingers Falls, NY
    NYCAviation Senior Editor & Director
    On Twitter @blgranucci
    More photos on Flickr
    [email protected]

WPIX is running the story tonight.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    How would you be able to tell the difference between a remote control airplane and an actual drone from that distance? I bet there are RCA models of drones that people fly- hell, my neighbor has an RCA F-22
    If they were coming in over Brooklyn you have the RCA field over at Floyd Bennett so maybe he would have seen one of those but from my experience back in the day watching them at FBF those guys are pretty
    professional with their operations.
    Wasnt there a video on here awhile baxck where some guy hooked up a camera to a RCA and flew around lower Manhattan?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    If they were coming in over Brooklyn you have the RCA field over at Floyd Bennett so maybe he would have seen one of those but from my experience back in the day watching them at FBF those guys are pretty
    professional with their operations.
    Wasnt there a video on here awhile baxck where some guy hooked up a camera to a RCA and flew around lower Manhattan?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9cSxEqKQ78

BTW is this type of flying legal ???
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway View Post
    WPIX is running the story tonight.
    Got more info/insight here than that piece!!

Quote Originally Posted by alberchico View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9cSxEqKQ78

BTW is this type of flying legal ???
    These guys already distancing themselves from this incident!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    While I shooting yesterday and listening to the scanner I heard of the drone. A NYPD copter was dispatched to where the sighting may have occurred and they reported nothing was seen. Other approaching aircraft saw nothing either. Not sure how this is associated with Brooklyn since they were landing on the 31s.
    Well, since you [see] brooklyn on 31 approach and actually fly over part of it while departing 31L, I guess it can work
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    I happened to be listening to JFK Tower at work when this happened. It was the early AZ flight, 60U is the callsign - I don't remember off-hand which flight number it ties up to, but it was around 1300L. The Alitalia was on a regular final for 31R, so he would have been over Long Beach. I think the reporter got his directions screwed up; it has nothing to do with Brooklyn. Tower called out the report for the next half-hour or so, but no one else saw anything. The PD helo showed up about 20 minutes later, flew SE between the runways, saw nothing, and came back just a few minutes later.