Thread: Pleasant experiences at KBDL

Pleasant experiences at KBDL

With all the postings lately about bad experiences, I wanted to take a moment to share a pleasant and brief experience with the group that I recently had at Bradley International Airport in CT. However, this did not involve any face to face interactions, and I really wish that every airport could be like this.

I belong to a small facebook group of planespotters called CT Plane Spotters. Over the past year we have developed a somewhat good relationship with the KBDL Operations department. This comes in handy since the CT State Police has a tendency to scare off spotters from time to time. This relationship stems from respect on both sides, and if we are going to be on the roads that run through airport property we give then the courtesy of calling ahead and they notify the CTSP that we're there so they don't chase us off or ticket us since there are signs posted saying there is NO PARKING.

This past Sunday I left work to head up to BDL to try out a new spotting location that I had found while looking at google maps. This particular location is in an old terminal parking lot and borders the ramp at the Intl Arrivals Building. It is a clear unobstructed view of the taxiway and one of the runways. Upon arrival to the area at BDL I called the phone number for operations and the conversation went like this:

Ops: Airfield operations, how can I help you?

Me: Hello, my name is Stephen Furst, and I am with the CT Planespotters. I wanted to give you a heads up that I will be around the perimeter of the airfield taking pictures.

Ops: Is there a particular location you will be at?

Me: Yes, actually I was hoping to get permission to take photos from a parking lot on the east side of runway 6.

Ops: Have at it. Enjoy.

Me: Thank you very much.

-End of conversation-

I stayed in that spot with my truck parked about 4' away from the fence with myself standing almost on the roof of my truck for the next 2.5 - 3 hours and was never bothered once.

Its moments like that that make me love this hobby so much.
    Last edited by steve1840; 2013-03-01 at 04:09 PM.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Nice post Steve .. It's nice to be reading something "pleasant" in this category
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Great to hear this kind of communication. Sweet!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Well, you are very lucky because you can talk or hear on the phone but I'm not. Spotting at BDL would be very hard for me because I can't hear on the phone or can't deal with the CT State Police about the aviation photography. That's why I'm hearing impaired and also I have a limitation for my speech and language. So, I normally go to the Kelly Container on Rt. 75 and observation parking lot (near Rwy 06) on Rt. 20 so no one bother me at all. One more thing, I'm very comfortable to take photos of the planes at FLL because this airport is very FRIENDLY for aviation spotters and photographers. FLL is the best!!!

On my second thought, I'm wondering if I can text the messages to BDL Operations Dept for permission to take photos of the airplanes.

John Perrotta
    Last edited by BDLGUY; 2013-03-01 at 09:12 PM.

Senior Member Aviation.High.Guy's Avatar
    Great to hear Steve. I have to get up there sometime.
    -Don B.

Quote Originally Posted by BDLGUY View Post
    Well, you are very lucky because you can talk or hear on the phone but I'm not. Spotting at BDL would be very hard for me because I can't hear on the phone or can't deal with the CT State Police about the aviation photography. That's why I'm hearing impaired and also I have a limitation for my speech and language. So, I normally go to the Kelly Container on Rt. 75 and observation parking lot (near Rwy 06) on Rt. 20 so no one bother me at all. One more thing, I'm very comfortable to take photos of the planes at FLL because this airport is very FRIENDLY for aviation spotters and photographers. FLL is the best!!!

On my second thought, I'm wondering if I can text the messages to BDL Operations Dept for permission to take photos of the airplanes.

John Perrotta
    John, if I get a weekend away from the office anytime soon when the weather is nice, I'll shoot you a message and I'll have ya tag along with me, and I'll call Ops prior to heading out.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviation.High.Guy View Post
    Great to hear Steve. I have to get up there sometime.
    Don, BDL can provide some good views and spotting locations when the winds are favoring a good runway. But for the most part, if you're used to spotting at LGA or JFK, you will be bored at BDL. haha.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    John, have you looked into one of those TTY systems? I know a couple of people who are hearing impaired and the TTY is absolutely splendid in making the communications easier even on a daily life basis.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]