Thread: Recording Take Off's and Landings

Recording Take Off's and Landings

I want to record the takeoff's and landings of planes while I am in them. Unfortunately, the flight attendants say not to use cameras during that and I couldn't achieve that. Anyone have tips on this stuff because on youtube there are so many videos on them!! Most people tell me to take them out after the F/A are seated. Is that true? Thanks =)

99% of the time, I use my iPhone. Most of the time I record initial portions of the flight, and when the F/A comes and does her checks, I put it away. When they take a seat, I whip it back out, and record the takeoff. The same goes during landing. You can check a few of my videos on YouTube, and get an idea of what I mean...

youtube.com/killtoskate

This probably won't be a surprise to hear given the recent responses about EWR spotting, but you need to be very discreet about doing this. Yes people do it, yes there are many videos of it, but it isn't an accepted practice.

You also need to respect and follow the flight attendants' instructions. If they see it and ask you to stow it, apologize and do it(remember, you're apologizing because they already told everyone over the intercom to put away ALL electronic devices). If you have to be told twice, you're interfering with a flight crew. Whether or not devices can really cause interference in the airplane's avionics has been discussed ad infinitum here and elsewhere, and is a moot point when you're being directly addressed by FA's. If you look for it, we had a recent discussion about a travel blogger who was taken off his flight for taking pictures, even though he was engaging in his profession.

I don't think anyone here wants to suggest how to get around the official rules of flying commercially, so, you will need to use your best judgement.

Program Coordinator
    There are many many folks who do it, including many on these forums, but I agree that there isn't likely to be anyone who admits to how they do it. That being said, it isn't rocket science.

And strongly second the point already made - if an F/A tells you to put it away don't make them say it twice: not worth it.

Same as Megatop. You are taking a risk by engaging in this activity, so keep that in mind and use your best judgment. I do it myself, but am aware of the potential consequences. Last video I took, the F/A was sitting right in front of me but I hid my filming hand under my coat (filming with an iPhone), and of course did everything to remain unnoticed, like talking to my wife at the same time. Sounds like a big waste of time (not the wife part!) but the video actually turned out okay.

BUT, you are not allowed to do it. You are a customer up there, but certainly not the boss.

Thank you for all the tips everyone. I will follow everything =)

neurodave757: I did that once too....unfortunately I was only to do so for the landing because the F/A told me not to use my camera and iPhone during the takeoff ;(
    Anyways thank you for the tips =D