Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ikea Security -_-

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    So when the 787 was there did people stay away from EWR? Funny I don't remember that being the case. Telling a new spotter to stay away from an airport is ridiculous. Is EWR a tough airport to spot at? Sure but to tell someone to stay away is just dumb. CathayA340 if you want some good advice without the forum bravado that breaks out here PM me.

Another good piece of advice would be to avoid these threads altogether and seek people out on the side. As you have seen here what usually happens is it becomes a pissing contest and nothing constructive comes of it. I am sure Manny would be more than happy to pick you up and bring you to JFK every time you want to spot.

Now on a more logical note without the fearmongering you can shoot at EWR. It won't be nearly the same as JFK or LGA but it can be done if done in doses and on the DL. Ikea is a spot that you should avoid unless you have a car and if told to leave you have to.
    Nick correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you generally been of the opinion that one should not make things worse than they have to be by going to sensitive locations? I would think that EWR is a sensitive location as far as spotting goes, and that you would frown upon people constantly getting into confrontations with the police. If I am thinking of someone else I apologize.

I certainly wasn't trying to pitch any bravado back there, if that came out in any of my responses it was unintentional. I was only forwarding some caution. The only people I saw 787 pictures from were at least as experienced as myself in terms of spotting judgement, if not more. I would hate to have someone just getting into the sport decide to leave it because of bad initial experiences(and I wouldn't think of reading these threads to be among them)

Don't worry....aviation is something I will not leave (hopefully, yet) =P
    Is there a way I can delete this thread? I don't want anyone to get uncomfortable and fight or something.....

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Nick correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you generally been of the opinion that one should not make things worse than they have to be by going to sensitive locations? I would think that EWR is a sensitive location as far as spotting goes, and that you would frown upon people constantly getting into confrontations with the police. If I am thinking of someone else I apologize.
    No no, you're right... The Mounds during School Year and T5 to name two recent "bravado-filled" threads
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Manny, I want to say sorry for any recent trouble I caused you.

But there's a huge difference between going out for only one plane (the 787), staying on the down low until it came, and leaving right after it arrived, versus someone trying to learn how to do aviation photography at EWR. If Cathay wants to go to EWR, stand outside his car, and shoot every Continental 737 in sight for practice, no one here will stop him, but odds are very high that he will find out the hard way why people were warning him.
    Last edited by Cary; 2013-02-28 at 10:40 PM.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

Erg...I don't know what to do :| I guess I'll MAYBE head out to the frontage road area of EWR....keyword: MAYBE -_- lol

Quote Originally Posted by CathayA340 View Post
    I guess I'll MAYBE head out to the frontage road area of EWR...
    Don't say they didn't warn you...
    PANTS UP, DON'T LOOT!

Ok....? That pic sucks...feel bad for the spotter there. Anyways I said I might or might not head out there. If I do, you guys cant really "STOP" me from going....erg :S

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Manny, I love you. Cathay, I agree with Williams's stance being that ultimately you're going to do what you think is best for you and if you can make it work at EWR for you then, well that's splendid for sure. Personally I see no bravado. All I see is advice given in light of many years of previous experience. Good judgement comes from wisdom. Wisdom comes from poor judgement.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Thank you for writing that. I definitely agree with you on that, especially the last two sentences. Makes total sense :D
    When I hear out to EWR (don't get freaked out and be like D:<), lets hope that everything goes well :) Accordig to the spotter that told me about the frontage road spot, he has not run into any trouble at all ok the area with law enforcement, PAPD, or the cops in the airport. Also, the videos the spotter shared with me about this area show that this area is good for side and belly views. I'm just hoping everything goes well!

I love you too Kenny.

Cathay, good luck. You caused me no trouble, just a little puzzled at your seemingly desperate quest for spotting against all odds. Seriously, take care of yourself. If you do decide to take any of our advice is to really not make yourself visible... blend in as much as possible and look over your shoulder often.

Cheers!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Hehe thanks bro! I will try my best and use all of the techniques and spotters etiquette :) Hopefully, stuff goes well! I'll inform you all about my experience after it happens :P

Cathay, reading the site's spotting guides should give you most of the info that you need. I see many of your questions on the forums being redundant to the guides. If a location in NYC is not on the guide...it's probably because we don't want to promote that spot for a reason....such as EWR's Ikea.

I feel like you maybe are so disappointed by the information that we are providing you, that you are looking for any way to skirt around it.

Maybe I should re-write the EWR guide to heavy emphasize just how bad Ikea tends to be.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].